Issue regarding specific effect

Lach

Not sure if I should be asking about this here, but late a few nights ago I was messing around on paint.net and came across this tab of effect presets, with small images above them as a preview (from what I can remember). I added it to my image & it instantly improved everything 100%, but afterwards I completely forgot how I found it. It added a sort of crinkly/foil effect (can't really describe it) to the image, as seen below:

Spoiler

mZadW1X.png (ignore the font style & the black paint, mainly focusing on that wrinkly/foil effect inside of it)

I've been kicking myself going through every effect tab, adjustment, colours etc. to find this, & I've had no luck. Was wondering if a long-time user or someone with experience would know where to find it? 

If it helps at all, I had previously made the text in photoshop & added a gold effect, then added it to photoshop to add a glowing effect around it. But I'm confident that the wrinkled effect seen in the picture was in paint.net.

Yeah exactly, there are a few other similar methods but none really get the same effect, it was more like a tab with more than just that single effect, there was some scratch things or something, it was more like a texture tab or something like that

I know none of the built-in effects have small image previews. It looks as if it was a combination of effects than one plugin but try what Madjik had suggested.

There are some other methods and plugins to try to re-create the effect which I think is rather cool. I can imagine a font like that be used on some cover of a mystery novel or something. 

• Like 1

I'll list the steps I used to produce the above text. There are many possible variations, but this should provide some ideas. Besides the he Texture Shader and Edge Expander,  you'll also need BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin.

First, produce the height map:

1) Start with a white canvas, like a New Image.

2) Add a new (transparent) layer.

3) Type text into the transparent layer. I used Byington with a size of 192, but many similarly sized fonts will also work.

4) Copy the text into the clipboard (with Ctrl+C).

5) Deactivate (or delete) the text layer.

6) Duplicate the white layer.

7) Select the upper white layer, and make it black using Adjustments>Invert Colors.

8) Run Object>Paste Alpha. Set Alpha Source to Clipboard alpha. Check the Invert Calculation option. (The result should be white text on a black background.)

9) Run Object>Edge Expander. Set Maximum Distance to 55 and Fade Rate to 2.0.

10) Flatten the image.

11) Run Object>Paste Alpha. Uncheck the Invert Calculation option. (The result should be text on a transparent background.)

12) Run Noise>Add Noise. Set Intensity to 20, Color Saturation to 0, and Coverage to 100.

Now shade the the height map using Height Map>Texture Shader.

Use the default settings, except:

Texture Height Scale: 120.00

Ambient Light Color: 15, 11, 0

Directional Light Color: 255, 210, 0

Directional Light Direction: 0.00, -129.0,  25.0

Directional Light Intensity: 2.400

Specularity: 0.425

Antialias: Checked

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1