Reverse Batch Processing and Layer Arrangement

Background:  I've been getting into print & play card/tabletop games, and one thing I'm interested in is fan made armies for Neuroshima Hex.  The hexes generally have different artwork and iconography for various abilities.  I have a prototype hex file designed for easily making new hex tiles(it has the iconography in layers), and I have a layout file where the hexes are to be placed for easy printing.

Goal #1:  I want to be able to save a new hex from my prototype paint file as a new layer in my layout file without opening or messing with the layout file.  Sort of like batch processing in reverse.

Goal #2:  And ideally, the layers would be automatically positioned according to a grid pattern I specify.

Are there plugins that would help with either of these, or that I could possibly modify to handle this?  

Hi sparkest - welcome to the forum :)

2 hours ago, sparkest said:

I want to be able to save a new hex from my prototype paint file as a new layer in my layout file without opening or messing with the layout file.  

Can't be done. You'll have to open the layout file and import (or paste) the new layer in as a minimum.

2 hours ago, sparkest said:

ideally, the layers would be automatically positioned according to a grid pattern I specify.

Layers are positioned top left when they are imported. The only way around this is to pre-position the graphic within an appropriately sized layer and then import the entire thing.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

hmm.

what about doing this through a macro and a VB script?

I run a macro through vTask that imports a bunch of images within a folder.  Then a run a VB script that parses the layer location information and changes it according to a text file of xy coordinates.

If this is doable, is there a keyboard shortcut for the 'import from file...' command and where can I find info about .pdn file structure?

There is no keyboard shortcut for 'import from file...'. It's one of those lesser used features and hasn't had a keyboard shortcut assigned.

Honestly, I have no idea where you'd find info on the PDN file structure. Rick serializes the structure and pixel data to create the file, but I've never seen anything more specific than that.