Image Canvas Size Help

Hello,

Background of what I'm trying to use Paint for  

I've been using Paint.net to make video comics for my friends. First, I draw out all of the characters for the story. So, there will be one piece of paper that has a whole bunch of different drawings on it. I then

scan that piece of paper so I can get all of the images onto my laptop. After that, I use Paint to cut out parts from the entire image to make a story out of all of the drawings.

My problem =(

So, I used to be able to use the rectangle select tool to cut out the different drawings I wanted to use to create a story. I would use the tool to select the image I wanted to start with and then cut it and paste it 

so it would become a single image. I would cut out the drawing I want to use first and then click file and new. Once I hit new, the width and height for my image would already be set by Paint. So, I would just click

on edit and then paste so the drawing I wanted became it's own image by itself. Now, when I try to cut and paste my drawings, Paint does not automatically try to adjust the width and height for my images, so my 

drawings end up being too small. When I try to increase the canvas size or resize the image my drawings become too pixely and don't look as crisp. Is there a way to have Paint automatically try to adjust the 

width and height for my images again? 

Edited by Rickeen

Paint.net only asks to increase canvas size if the image being pasted is larger than the current canvas dimensions. If possible, see if you can tell the scanner to save the images with a higher resolution.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Try altering your workflow...

1. Use rectangle select :RectangleSelectTool: to make the selection.

2. Copy the selection with Ctrl + C.

3. Paste the selection into a new image with Ctrl + Alt + V.

Paint.net will create a new image the same size as the clipboard image, so there is no need to resize.