Request: PM Rule Change

10) Do not private message the moderators with Paint.NET questions. That's what the forum is for! If you PM a moderator with a question like, "How do I crop or something?" then your message will probably just be ignored. Also, do not put something like this in your thread title: RICK READ THIS THREAD!!! That is extremely rude and annoying.

I am requesting a rule change to extend this rule to the average user as well. Sure, we could simply just 'ignore it' but I do not think it is simply fair that our inboxes have to be flooded with PMs without any form of protection from it. I get generally 10 questions a day asking for Paint.NET help.

signature.png

Well when you try to set yourself up as an computor expert in all your posts its bound to happen. :wink:

I'm sure ASH didn't feel that way when I started out. I must have PM'd umpteen times. I'm sure I've gladly returned the favour to numerous new members when they come to me.

That is how I repay what I feel what I owe to others for the knowledge I've received free thru, a free paint.net program, where there are help files, tutorials, plugins, or just comments in the pictorium.

I don't write Plugins but think those people also benifit. Where else do you think they get to hone their skills on us " Artists " so readily. When I say tutorials I also mean the writers of the tuts not just those following them benifit. Peer asking another Peer to help make a picture ,or teach a technique is one of the greatest compliments.

I give back by trying to answere the questions I can. and am more than happy to do so.

IMO That's what makes this forum succeed so well.

ciao

I have to agree with oma, being able to help others is a privilage. People will respect you if you help them. Just make them realise that you are a busy person who doesn't always have time to answer questions. That way the less important ones can be replied to later on.

Thats my opinion about the subject.

EliteOverride25.png

:) Visit-> My Website <-Visit :)

Please Call Me Elite Override

The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the floor and missing.

I am sorry, you all misunderstand me here so let me clarify:

I want this rule extended to protect misplaced questions. Yesterday I recieved a PM from a completely new member regarding Pyrochild's plugin not working correctly (Pyro can back me on this). I helped him regardless, but I am not the person to ask regarding this question. I get questions like this daily regarding tutorials and plugins that I have not created. Questions about the program itself I am always happy to answer

(Thanks Oma, I am going to take that as a compliment :P )

signature.png

I think it's a good idea. I'm going to wait on someone else to change it, though- I don't feel it's my place. I'm fine with PMs when a user offers their help, but I'd prefer to have most help happen in the wide-open; it makes sure that if other people have a similar problem, they can find it with search.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I am sorry, you all misunderstand me here so let me clarify:

I want this rule extended to protect misplaced questions. Yesterday I recieved a PM from a completely new member regarding Pyrochild's plugin not working correctly (Pyro can back me on this). I helped him regardless, but I am not the person to ask regarding this question. I get questions like this daily regarding tutorials and plugins that I have not created. Questions about the program itself I am always happy to answer

(Thanks Oma, I am going to take that as a compliment :P )

Ah OK in this case I can see why you wish a rule change.

but do the newbies really read the rules, most I think do, many its their first experience in a forum, (young children, older new computor users) so they don't know where to start. This program is getting so great and powerful, it can sometimes be intimidating.

I've had a few, well more than a few in my PM's requests for items that the answers were easily found in search. The way I've handled it is to gently help them to fly on their own. provide the search term and a proper link to the actual tut/plugin, and a quoted portion of the place within the post that their answere was to be found.

I don't know what type of question you were asked but stress one way to help combat this I think a great deal of care needs to be taken in the directions given at the time new plugins are added.

Frankly some of the newer plugins coming out, are very advanced and don't follow the general format of installing one dll in the effects. We've sets of plugin with common elements dlls, and items with minimual user instructions. Its really hard sometimes to find the answer unless you read every post within the plugin section. Sometimes if you are not really sure what it is you are doing incorrectly you just can't seem to find the answere.

I myself did a boo boo the other day on the power stretch I asked a question that I didn't see the answer to with in the entire plugin section. Ash pointed it out to me, just a few up from my question. So things happen even to seasoned users. Newbies probably find it even harder, and look to those they think are willing to help from the number of posts that person makes helping others out on the forum.

Its sort of a catch 22... and I can only say I truly wish that search function worked better and was utilized more often.

and YES Mike that was a big compliment! from your Peers.

This may sound 'rude' but I think if a rule can be created that can protect seasoned users and give seasoned users the chance to point out the rules to individual users then I think that oppurtunity needs to be grasped.

I just had an interesting idea but is nothing I really want enforced: a private section of the forum for seasoned users (apart from the Mods lound and Beta Center and any others there may be that I do not know of)

signature.png

Just to add,

A couple days ago, on the 28th, i got a pm from a newer user too...

It was on the subject of PdN 3.30 Beta 1

It said,

@MIX_M@N..Was wondering how u downgraded PDN Pretty much makes this impossible unless ,did u have the old installer and if yes which Version?My saved installers i only find version 3.08 :cry: any feedback would be appreciated although i got most of the new plug-ins to work its always good to be able to Revert ! Thanks M@M Subject: Paint.NET v3.30 BETA 1 is now available

I think adding this rule could really help because, obviously, it was sent weeks after beta was over... :?

-------MIX_M@N

wallpapersignaturezs5.png

Firefox is the best! So is Relient K!

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

Bye Paint.NET!

I would have loved to say 'Read the Rules!'

Actually you could...

1) Before you ask for or about ANYTHING:

1. Read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), viewtopic.php?t=489

2. Search for your answer, http://searchpaint.net

3. Read the Popular Feature Requests posting. If it's already there, don't ask for it. Seriously. Don't. viewtopic.php?t=3455

4. Read the Help file, All basic Paint.NET question are answered here. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/index.html

KaHuc.png

would not a polite reply with direction (LINK) to the plugin on the forum accompanied with a wee note saying for the sake of all those following you that might have the same question it really should be asked within the plugin topic. this would have covered it in less time than mentioning in this thread ?

politely done, with enough information to find appropriate spot. even a little help with the wording would go a long way. we've all been newbies.

So lets see if this is your plugin that people keep inquiring on about loading installing problems. Perhaps you need to rewrite more effectively the opening buzz.

proper, well stated step by step instructions in the first post can go a long way to cutting down questions. that's why there' an edit button.