How do you work with multiple layers on one background

I am trying to make a picture by placing several pictures on a single background in varying levels of transparency. i have no idea how to do this...help please. i just got this today and i cant even figure out how to work or open more than one picture at a time. please. i suck at tech. talk so please in plain english.

hello im new to paint.net aswell as ive tryed photoshop and its hard to use but ive found paint.net excellent i have got the hang of layers and adding plug ins, but 1 thing i am struggling with is adding pictures i want to a new layer, as it makes all the other layers the same size as the picture im trying ot add, so can i only add pictures into the layers the size i want them by that i mean resize them first in a different program b4 i add them, when i try to resize them in paint.net i lose the layers im already working on plz help sorry if this sounds a bit silly and easy to sort but im not artistic at all but am finding paint.net really cool to experiment with.

Whether you get asked to keep the canvas size depends on how you open the image. Try using File -> Open on the new image and copying it and selecting your current image and Edit -> Paste into New Layer. Then select "Keep Canvas Size" and resize your image so that all of it shows in the normal way.

KaHuc.png

ive just tryed that i had my back ground open and as soon as i tryed to open the image i wanted on another layer the background image vanished im really getting frustrated as it seems sucha simple thing to do but im having trouble doing it :x

ah its ok ive got it now guys it was ahrd to explain what i really meant at the very top of the screen theres all windows you have had open so it bnever really had vanished ty so much i understand the program a whole lot more ty so much for the help guys. :P

ok i have tried and gotten the background to go away on a pic .i have used the gradiant tool and see hwo that works now my problem is this. when i copy the pic i am trying to make transparent to another background it shows up all faded and all but it is in a very defined circle or square . however i copy and paste it. how do i lay the transparent pic on another layer without there being a definate edge or frame around it? hope that makes sense? oh ya and how do you get the pics to appear all at once in the layers square. i have them in theupper right hand corner but the only way ican work with multiple layers right now is to copy and paste them on top of each other icant get more than one pic in the layers window onthe bottom right at time