How to Install Plugins ×

Soften Edges

jchunn

This plugin is a part of the "Jesse Chunn Plugin Pack" and can be downloaded Here.

This effect will attempt to detect "rough" edges and soften them, similar to the feather plugin, or the basic anti-alias effect.

The left side is the original (no anti-aliasing), the right side has had this effect applied to it.

file.php?id=1544

Here are some other random variations of the effect:

file.php?id=1545

Settings:

Phase: A slider that effects how edges are detected based on how dark or light a pixel is.

Amount: A slider that decides how "soft" to make the edges.

In/Out of phase: Choose to use the inside or outside of detected edges for applying the effect.

Edges Only: Choose to show only the detected edges (uses primary and secondary colors).

This version is VERY powerful. Take some time to play around with it with various images and settings... very versitile.

Enjoy,

Jesse Chunn

12758_b47fb9522bd377384afcf22880c30644

12758_1db4c0c746852476030dc3fa47f89350

Total hack.

Where's the difference to "Feather+" ?

I have never heard of "Feather+", but I have heard of "Feather", which is part of boltbaits plugin pack.

Feather, from what I can tell, identifies edges based on where transparency meets non-transparency within a selection (please correct me if I am wrong, anyone).

This plugin attempts to "detect" rough edges and soften them anywhere within the selection.

For example, if you had an image that was simply white on the left and black on the right, this plugin would find the border between the two colors and "soften" the edge.

If you look at the example in the original post, you'll see that the eyes and mouth are slightly "anti-aliased", even though they do not border any transparency, and the effect was applied to the entire right half of image at once, rather than selecting just the area around the eyes and mouth.

The next version of this plugin will be MUCH better, by the way. The current version was a "first attempt", but it has several problems that make it difficult to fine tune and get "juuuust right". The next version is, at least for me, a must have. It will not cause, in the above example, for the entire pants to be "fuzzy", and will only effect the edges. I am very happy with what this new version is capable of. I'll be posting in later tonight if time permits (full time work and full time college and a wife and two dogs and yardwork and other hobbies such as poker and occasional sleep).

Total hack.

Where's the difference to "Feather+" ?

I have never heard of "Feather+", but I have heard of "Feather", which is part of boltbaits plugin pack.

Feather, from what I can tell, identifies edges based on where transparency meets non-transparency within a selection (please correct me if I am wrong, anyone).

This plugin attempts to "detect" rough edges and soften them anywhere within the selection.

For example, if you had an image that was simply white on the left and black on the right, this plugin would find the border between the two colors and "soften" the edge.

If you look at the example in the original post, you'll see that the eyes and mouth are slightly "anti-aliased", even though they do not border any transparency, and the effect was applied to the entire right half of image at once, rather than selecting just the area around the eyes and mouth.

The next version of this plugin will be MUCH better, by the way. The current version was a "first attempt", but it has several problems that make it difficult to fine tune and get "juuuust right". The next version is, at least for me, a must have. It will not cause, in the above example, for the entire pants to be "fuzzy", and will only effect the edges. I am very happy with what this new version is capable of. I'll be posting in later tonight if time permits (full time work and full time college and a wife and two dogs and yardwork and other hobbies such as poker and occasional sleep).

Now I'm excited - I hope you do post the new "soften edges" plugin as it seems quite interesting.

Updated... much better effect, better performance, new settings.

I encourage everyone to play with this one with several images and various settings... lots of possibilities with this one.

Total hack.

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Soften Edges