Paint.NET v2.6 Setup Front-End has encountered a problem...

pdnsetupcrash.PNG

Doesn't exactly look like a standard "crash" dialog... what is this, some kind of joke?

Really bugs me, the program "expires", then the new version's setup-program crashes? I mean, Paint .NET is an awesome program, but if you want me to pay for it, why not just out-and-out ask? ;-)

Using XP Pro SP2, have already run the cleanup tool, and updated my Windows Installer version (whatever the newer version above SP2 standard is). It's running from my desktop (C:\Documents and Settings\Falcon\Desktop\Downloads\PaintDotNet_2_6.exe). Uhm, anything else you need to know?

Couldn't find this in the forums, so... I'm guessing it should be made a new topic. :)

It's hard to say since it isn't giving us any useful information :?

Normally when there's a crash in our code (as opposed to a crash in the framework) it should present the stack trace.

When that crash dialog is open, go to Start->Run and type in "%TEMP%\PdnSetup" and then click OK. Try copying all of those files on to a folder on your desktop, then close the crash dialog, and then double click on SetupShim.exe and see if you get the same error.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Exact same error... :(

Sorry I couldn't get you any more information... I don't mind installing some kind of debug software or something if you need it, though...

edit: Just uninstalled FlyakiteOSX (been planning on that anyway) and it still gives that same error.

Still trying some other things...

edit: Here's what I get when I try to run PaintDotNet.msi:

pdnerror2.PNG

I dunno if that's intended (what the EXE is there for), or if there's something majorly f*cked up with my computer... LOL!

I have been having the same problem ever since version 2.6 and the various betas and Release Candidates were posted.

I followed the same instructions about copying the files from the temp directory and running the ?Shim? file.

Got the same errro message again.

Am running XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates.

Paint.net version 2.5 installed and is running ok.

Framework 2.0 is installed. (Folder is 2.0.50727)

I just started 2.5 and I got a message saying there was a newer version available and did I want to download and install it. I opted not to and selected close. The message said I would be reminded again later about the update.

Nothing about anything 'expiring'.

Hmm, damn, I thought like just about all open-source software, PDN was one of those "always-beta" software things. I saw the "beta" thing, but I guess I never paid attention to there being a "stable" version for download...

Is there any way to "reactivate" my working version for now, or do I just have to set my clock back or somethin'?

That's why I had said in my earlier reply I was having the same problem with all postings of 2.6 to include betas, release candidtaes, and the final. Something is surely wrong but without more troubleshooting tips or procedures I have no other suggestions.

Aha! I ran "repair" on my .NET installation using the "full" package (ran it, it crashed, but before closing it I moved the temp folder's "x86" folder to the desktop), and now I got to the installation. :P

Reason #2397835 why I absolutely despise .NET Framework. :(

edit: holy ____, that loads a heck of a lot faster than the old version! Awesome!! :D

Edited by Rick: no profanity please

edit: I was wrong anyway... it still takes an eternity to load... it started up fast last time because .NET was already loaded from the installer, I guess... :(

Downloaded 2.6 Full as Falcon recommended. Ran same - did NOT get an option to repair .NET Framework 2.0 but did get error message as originally reported.

Decided to do my own repair of .NET Framework 2.0 by reinstalling dotnetfx.exe (The one for .NET Framework 2.0). Repair and reboot went ok.

Now I selected Paint.net 2.6 to install and this time things went as expected. First I got an option to remove version 2.5 then the rest of the install routine continued.

Took about ten minutes and version 2.6 finally installed.

When I was getting the error messages I mentioned earlier I had tried a repair install of .NET Framework 2.0 and it did not seem to fix the problems with Paint.net 2.6 but this time it worked - who knows why?

After thinking about my previous post I am wondering if my uninstall and installation of the latest WinFX Runtime Components 3.0 beta 2 could have had anything to do with the successful install of version 2.6.

I ask that because I noticed the install of WinFXRC adds folders and files to the Microsft.NET folder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...