How do I put fotos beside each other to compare them?

Have just downloaded V3.22 and read the Rules and viewed the FAQs (which haven't been updated since Jan. 07/07) and the tutorials and still didn't find an answer to (I think) a really simple question.

How can I compare a number of almost identical fotos with each other to eliminate the not so good ones and keep the good one(s)? Thumbnails are not good. As the name says they are thumbnails, i.e. small, and also I couldn't see that they could be moved around.

In the old MS Photo Editor which I used to do this I merely clicked on the middle "restore down" button and all the fotos that I had loaded showed up in a stack. I could then sort them and put the identical/similar ones beside each other for comparison purposes.

Now that I have a new computer running Vista my Sony JPG files still open in Photo Editor but my Canon (ES400) JPG files don't open.

Thanks for the help/Martic

There isn't any good way to do this in Paint.NET. Your best bet is Google's Picasa.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I guess you could expand the cavas size, add the second pic, compare the images, and cut out the second pick when do comparing.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

I second david.atwell. Paint.NET isn't really designed for that. Sure, there are workarounds, but they're all a hassle. Use MSPaint or Picasa.

Or we could ask RB to remove the code that prevents multiple instances of pdn running - or maybe that is there for another reason.

If that wasn't there, how would the application know when you wanted to open a new instance, and when you wanted to open in another tab in the MDI interface? Paint.NET doesn't have ESP, you know. Removing the single-instance code would just add an enormous layer of complexity.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

If that wasn't there, how would the application know when you wanted to open a new instance, and when you wanted to open in another tab in the MDI interface?

Launching the program would create a new instance, File -> New would create a new tab.

And when you double-click an image file? None of this is intuitive.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

If that wasn't there, how would the application know when you wanted to open a new instance, and when you wanted to open in another tab in the MDI interface?

Launching the program would create a new instance, File -> New would create a new tab.

And when you double-click an image file? None of this is intuitive.

When you double-click an image file it would go MDI but when you launch the program again you obviously want a new window. Actually, given that it already asks what to do with an image when you open it, you could add a new window option.

KaHuc.png

But Paint.NET is really made to fix one image at a time, not to look over a group of photos. Picasa is actually made to do what he's asking...why not just use Picasa?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.