Forum Suggestion: Update Thread In Plugin Forum

Here is the problem: many people are out of date with their plugin versions and it is hard to know when you need to upgrade. Many people just get all the plugins they can in one day and never do anything else. People can easily check whether there are unread posts in the plugins forum or not - but have no instant way of telling whether they are plugin updates or comments.

With an update thread in the plugin forum you would know that if there were unread posts you needed to update your plugins.

KaHuc.png

You've 100% right.

Good suggestion. :wink:

It may also be a great way to download plugins - as authors would be required to only post plugin name, direct link, thread link, version and copyright notice - making downloading plugins quicker.

That rule would have to bee enforced 100% for this to work. Mods would simply have to delete all other posts.

I like the idea of an update tread.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I don't know if I get your point correctly, but does your idea mean all plugin authors will be forced to post in this thread? That way they would be required to make two posts instead of just updating their "own" topic (what is work enough as long as screenshots etc. are attached).

It would be wrong to force people to do something in consequence that they share their work for free. This is like to be punished for doing good things. Therefore, I don't believe that will happen. When I'd be a plugin developer, I just would stop to update it or to make it public on this forum. Instead, DeviantArt, other forums or blogs could be used.

Following your line - if I understand what you want - you would finally have to search the entire web to get your plugins - and not "just" having a look into the plugin forum.

I agree an update thread would be nice, but it might should maintained by a "special moderator" or something. Also, plugin developement guidelines should be published in the plugin forum, e. g. containing instructions for my beloved localized submenus and "code tweaks". That way we would rather talk about the effects in their respective threads instead of coding questions.

I don't know if I get your point correctly, but does your idea mean all plugin authors will be forced to post in this thread?

Not forced - but urged to post in the forum when there is a new version of their plugin availible if they want people to have up-to-date versions.

Edit:

Following your line - if I understand what you want - you would finally have to search the entire web to get your plugins - and not "just" having a look into the plugin forum.

I have absolutly no idea what you are talking about.

KaHuc.png

I think this creates an unnecessary workload for plugin authors. They should all update the thread title with the latest version, and I don't mind the idea of having a thread available, but I do NOT like the idea of mandating it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.