One user's first impressions of paint.net - positive

I just got PdN today, and I'm very happy. Too long have I searched for something like this (yes, there's The GIMP, but it has the worst UI ever). A GIMP user on a forum I visit linked me to getpaint.net earlier today, and it's great! I had a few goes on some tutorials (I saved my "rainbow eye" and "exploding planet" :P ), and I downloaded some plugins too. It all works lovely on Vista and I just wanted to announce how happy I am with it. So easy to use...

Colour me impressed.

I'm from OneClick Wi-Fi, a Nintendo WFC community site.

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

If you don't have an IRC client, you can also access initialized IRC here.

Hey Jon, welcome to the board! We're ever so happy you like Paint.NET along with us (though, being an avid GIMP user myself, I can't exactly be happy with you leaving Wilber entirely :wink: ).

While you're here, please make sure you check out The Rules, specifically #6 regarding thread titles. Click the Edit button on your first post up there and change the Subject field at the top to make it a little more indicative of your intent (Wow could be a prelude to a post from an excited PDN-er, someone who can't believe how awesome I am, someone commenting on how the [sports team] did last game, et cetera).

Thanks. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

That's quite the extensive list you've got there. Also, some really strict password rules too (both cases, must include numbers and letters, 8+ characters). I'm glad I've got [a browser that saves your passwords].

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

Trust me, they're all there for very good reasons. We've had problems with each and every item on that list at some point or another. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah, there's nothing inherently wrong with any of them, it's just a bit of an overload. I bet it would look less daunting if it was categorised and included more friendly language.

The password rules are Forumer (or PHPBB3, I'm not certain which), but out of Rick's control as far as I know. The rest of the rules are just to keep things running smoothly (rules 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 11, 17, 20, 21, 22), reduce duplicate questions (rule 1), promote internet etiquette (3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 25, 26), and promote courtesy (9, 24, 27), as well as general housekeeping (14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 23).

They all have their uses. Most of them are "common sense", but Rick has added new rules over the years when the need for explicitly stating common sense was made apparent. For the most part, they were added in a linear fashion, which probably resulted in some incongruity (as evidenced by the numbering up there, eh?).

They are great in number, but they're relatively easy to follow. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hello, Ace Jon. Welcome.

You are right, Paint.NET is an easy program to get to grips with, and its prowess will serve many tasks greatly; even some Photoshop users have congratulated Paint.NET on its ability and potential. You really could not have come to a better graphics editor to start off with (and hope of continuing with) than Paint.NET.

As you have already gathered, there are many tutorials on offer which express this aforementioned ability, although, honestly, I believe to experiment is the best course to take, most especially when getting started with something new.

I bid you an enjoyable stay and an equally enjoyable experience with PDN.

It all works lovely on Vista...
Couldn't agree with you more.

You really could not have come to a better graphics editor to start off with (and hope of continuing with) than Paint.NET.

I wish I had. I'm not a beginner, I just can't afford PS (and I don't plan to "acquire" it magically), and the other software isn't as good. Until recently, I've been using Flash MX 2004 for my images! Those were dark days.

Thanks for the welcomes, all. :D

Parodies are allowed by Copyright Law!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.