How do you create a transparent background from scratch?

Choose a transparent color (alpha=0), hit Ctrl+A, and then hit backspace.

Or do you mean by default?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yea, I'm sure he meant by default. It's not possible.

QFT. But my workaround takes about three seconds....:-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

mine takes to, or mabey less, (Ctrl+A, Del)

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

what, mine is just as fast, as long as you hit the delete button, there is no point of changing the color to transparent, just hitting delete make it one step faster

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

You have a good point, actually.... :-) But mine has the added advantage of letting users know how to use the Fill Selected Area shortcut key.

true, you have a good point there, i guess mine is for the experienced user :D

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

hmm ok i tried it and it works now...did some testing and i can see that you can only save a transparent image and view it with paint.net with following formats

anicursor

cursor

gif

png

icon

tiff

psd (with no windows preview)

dds (no windows preview)

tga (no windows preview)

is that about right?

im asking because im about to publish a comic book and the site it will be at has 2 formats its accepting

.tiff for print on demand comics

.jpg for web on demand comics

but i guess you cant use transparent images with .jpg so would it end up looking different?

Shawn Edward Strickland

"The Strickalator"

well whats going to be transparent will be the logos and ad ons ...im guessing you can add a transparent image (or rather superimpose an imprint) on to a .pdn image and then save it in .jpg formart and it will still show the superimposed icon/label in the corner of the comic

Shawn Edward Strickland

"The Strickalator"

well whats going to be transparent will be the logos and ad ons ...im guessing you can add a transparent image (or rather superimpose an imprint) on to a .pdn image and then save it in .jpg formart and it will still show the superimposed icon/label in the corner of the comic

If you want transparency in your image, you'll have to save it as a .png or .gif. Quite simally, that transparent image won't remain transparent, unless you mean translucent (as in, it isn't completely transparent) then it'll work.

Actually, just post the image and we'll see what you mean.