How do I layer several images into one?

I have only just downloaded the program, but after sevearl attempts, still can't perform the very basic act of integrating several images into one! :(

Each time I click on an image, it places it on the active screen area,. But how do I place another image on top, or perhaps to one side of it?

I know that this is a VERY basic question, but I'm absolutely lost and almost ready to give up completely! Please can someone help as I feel very stupid! :oops:

Many thanks

Robert

Thanks for the links guys, but I still don't get it! :(

Looking at the Paint.net example with the car and Seatle background, I can't figure out how on screen, you can actually position one layer on top of another. Because every time you click on an image, that image is placed on the active screen, but allways on it's own - never on top, or side by side with another image!

So my question is still, how do I get more than one image side by side, or layered on top of each other? :?

I know that I am just missing something very simple here!

Thanks in advance guys!

Robert

EDIT:

I reread what you wrote, do you mean multiple files, like picture1.jpg and picture2.jpg, next to eachother on seperate canvases? If so, I don't think that is possible at the moment.

It would be so much easier if I could just show you in person... hmmmmmm.

Putting two images next to each other (left and right) is as simple as dragging it and resizing it using the corners.

As for putting them on seperate layers, I'll try to explain it as best as possible.

Go to the Window menu up top, and make sure the "Layer" option is selected. There should be a window on the screen called "Layers." Here, you can select layers. Whichever layer is selected is the layer you will be able to work on. The layers toward the top of this list are "on top" of the layers below them. As stated in the link I provided, it is similar to several transparencies stacked on top of each other. Any part of a layer that is transparent or semi-transparent will show through to the layer underneath it. The link i provided also explains blending modes, but that's a bit more advanced.

If you want one picture to appear on top of another, simply place picture2 (pasting it) in a layer over picture1. The only way you will be able to see picture1 is by having some sort of transparency on the layer with picture2.

I hope that helps in some way.

In case you need more help, this explains the functions of the buttons in the layer window, left to right.

Add New Layer - Adds layer over the selected layer.

Delete Layer - Deletes selected layer.

Duplicate Layer - Adds a duplicate of the selected layer above that layer.

Merge Layer Down - Combines the selected layer with the layer underneath it.

Move Layer Up/Down - Changes the top to bottom position of the selected layer.

Properties - Brings up the Layer Properties menu, where you can change blending modes and layer transparency level.

If this still doesn't help you enough, please rephrase and make your question more specific.

EDIT:

I reread what you wrote, do you mean multiple files, like picture1.jpg and picture2.jpg, next to eachother on seperate canvases? If so, I don't think that is possible at the moment.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Hellfire

Thanks for your reply, but it still leaves me struggling!

Putting two images next to each other (left and right) is as simple as dragging it and resizing it using the corners.

If I click on another image to drag it, it simpy changes the active image to that one. I can't have more than 1 image on the active screen area at any one time.

Whichever layer is selected is the layer you will be able to work on.

Again, the layers box only allows me to work with ONE image. I still can't work out how to layer 2 or more images on top of each other!

For your information, what I am trying to do is improve the logo graphics on my website at:

http://www.gourmet-food-revolution.com/

You will see that the top image is plain dark blue. I wish to change the colour and integrate a couple of food images into it.

Thanks for your patience! :D

Robert

I am having the same problem as Robjackson. How do I use corners ?

I can't even use the two images I imported at the same time.

I am trying to put:

food1.jpg on the top-left

food2.jpg on the top-right

food3.jpg on the bottom-left

food4.jpf on the bottom-right

all into one canvas and save it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Ok, for this:

logo.gif

from your site this is what you need to do (assume we're starting from scratch).

Fill the canvas with dark blue, this will be the bottom layer

Add a new layer (make sure it is selected!)

Paste and resize any pictures you want (under/behind text)

Use the text tool to add text

Paste and resize any pictures you want (over/in-front-of text)

Draw in the border

It seems your problem is with adding and using new layers. It's quite simple, just click the first button "Add New Layer", in the layer window. Then select that layer by clicking on it in the same window.

ryan_khoo,

to see the corners just select the "Move Selected Pixels" tool, to the right of the Retangular Select tool It is the most top-right tool in the tool window. Once that is selected, your selection should have corners for you to drag. Hold shift to maintain the image's height-width ratio.

ryan_khoo,

to see the corners just select the "Move Selected Pixels" tool, to the right of the Retangular Select tool It is the most top-right tool in the tool window. Once that is selected, your selection should have corners for you to drag. Hold shift to maintain the image's height-width ratio.

Thanks Hellfire,

But what I wanted was to put 4 different pictures (food1.jpg, food2.jpg ,food3.jpg and food4.jpg each of them resized to 400 x 300) into one file called food_amended.jpg (which is 800 x 600)

I managed to import and resize the 4 files into 400 x 300 and dragged them into 4 different corners. But the problem is I cannot have 4 of them as one picture. When I select food1.jpg, the other 3 (ie food2.jpg, food3.jpg and good4.jpg) CANNOT be selected AT THE SAME TIME. What I have is one corner with the pictures while the other 3 corners are white canvas & I have 4 of these. So how do I put all 4 of them (each 400 x 300) into ONE big 800 x 600 with each taking one corners ?

Thanks

Robjackson, I may be wrong, but I think what you're looking for is to put an image as a new layer on top of another existing image.

To do this, open your first image, then go to the "Layers" menu at the top of the screen and select "Import From File". You can pick a second image to open as a new layer on top of the first.

time-smaller.png

Hi Robjackson,

Someone in the Movie Maker forum gave me this instruction and it works for me:

"Open up four different images into Paint.Net. After these are loaded you can see them and switch between them on the canvas by clicking on the one you want from the image list. They are shown on the image list in the upper right of the screen ...with a drop-down arrow to see them if there are many images. We want to put these four images in four quadrants of a new image....so first lets make a new image...go to the top and click on 'file' and then 'new'. You then get to choose the parameters of your new image...make it 1600 x 1200 to start this one. Also, up the resolution a bit to 150 to start with too. Click 'ok'....you now have a new blank image...if it is too large on the screen ...choose 'view' 'zoom out' to make it viewable. This new image will now be among the images in the 'image list' at the upper right.

Now, click on your image number 1 from the 'image list' and it will show on the canvas. Then go to the top and click on 'edit' and then 'select all'....this will choose the entire image (see moving border denoting its selection). Now click on 'edit' and then 'copy' to copy this image. Next, go to the image list again and click on your new blank image to bring it to the canvas. When it is there, click on 'edit' and then 'paste' and image #1 will be on your new image. Grab the upper left corner with your mouse and you can size and position that image into the quadrant you want it to be. You do the same to get the other images...and when you have them in all four corners, just save your new image and the project is complete"

Hopefully it works for you too.

Good luck.

Cheers

Paint.NET is one of the MOST user-friendly image editors out there.

It depends what you're trying to change the color of. The color picker is for copying a color you used already. Ok so, say you have a big space that's red and you want to color it blue. Just choose blue in the color window, select the paint can tool, then click on the red area.

There's also a very useful plugin called Conditional Hue/Saturation.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1102

I also had a question about layering several images, I want to make something similar to the picture in the link below and I have no idea where to start.

http://www.seenon.com/img/auction_nbc_heroes_main.jpg

any advice would be great, thanks.

That link is broken. Could you upload it to an image hosting site or attach it to a post?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That image won't appear for me.

Here's the link though, http://www.seenon.com/img/auction_nbc_heroes_main.jpg

The best starting advice i can give is start from the back and work your way forward. For this image, start with a plain black background. The next layer(s) can be used to add a texture or design to go over the black. The next several layers should be dedicated to one person each, adding them one by one from back to front. The next layer should have the black rectangle near the bottom. Finally, the next layer(s) would have the logo.