Plugin Idea

I couldn't seem to find a plugin for light reflections...

And since im about as good at programing as micheal jackson is at being a woman i decided to suggest it.

My idea is something like making it so that you could add a reflection from any direction on the canvas and any objects on the selected layer would lighten (or darken) in that direction as a result

Thanks

coreysig.png

My idea is something like making it so that you could add a reflection from any direction on the canvas and any objects on the selected layer would lighten (or darken) in that direction as a result

That's an incredibly bad description... Post a picture of what you mean.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I'm assuming the person is asking for a plugin that is similar to Shape 3D's lighting. Meaning, the ability to add highlights and shadows.

That would be my guess...

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I'm assuming the person is asking for a plugin that is similar to Shape 3D's lighting. Meaning, the ability to add highlights and shadows.

EXACTLY!!!!!

You could have just said that :)

Regarding a plugin, Shape3D implements this technique with no problem so I can't see why it can't be done as a specific plugin, but as my coding intellect doesn't rise beyond that of a cat operating a computer, I don't know if the UI would become too complicated for regular use or if anyone can be bothered to create one.

EDITED: too many 'as'

EXACTLY!!!!!

You could have just said that :)

Regarding a plugin, Shape3D implements this technique with no problem so I can't see why it can't be done as a specific plugin, but as my coding intellect doesn't rise beyond that of a cat operating a computer, I don't know if the UI would become too complicated for regular use or if anyone can be bothered to create one.

EDITED: too many 'as'

well, you'd have to take a selection, determine it's outline, "extrude" that somehow into a #-dimensional object, apply lighting/do your raytracing, copy the resulting rendered bitmap, and paste it back into the selection.

as far as I know, the only person to have done any of those steps other than taking the selection and replacing a selection is MKT, who wrote shape-3D. It would be, as they say, "non-trivial" to write.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

There's a way that's faster than making a plug-in. I think.

Duplicate your text, 3D shape, whatever ( from now on referred to as Design), layer. Select all around your Design (Press Ctrl+Shift+:MagicWandTool:). Go on the bottom layer, press Delete. Uncheck the box next to the top layer. Select the transparent parts (White and grey checkerboards, same tool as before) Press Ctrl+I. Find a way to make the interior of your selection all black(Contrast, or brush, set to black of course). Check the top layer box that you unchecked before. Click on the bottom layer, and gaussian blur to how big you want your shadow to be. If you want to move the shadow, instead of a gaussian blur, do a motion blur in the direction you want it to be. Move your Selection as needed. Tadaa!

Here's what I got with my brushed metal orb.

MetalOrb.png

Is this what you wanted?

Sig-1.png

I couldn't seem to find a plugin for light reflections...

And since im about as good at programing as micheal jackson is at being a woman i decided to suggest it.

Thanks

Haha If you're that good i take it you do this professionally? :D I'd love to see a plugin like this.