Blurry images

I have had paint.net for a few hours, and have tried to search to see if anyone else has had this happen...without success.

I have drawn some very simple images, and filled them with the paint bucket. When I print those out, they are not sharp at all, but really blurry around the edges. I was hoping to make a t shirt transfer, but I can see that it won't be a good image at all unless I can do a better job.

I enlarged the filled image on screen and I can see where some of the pixels were not colored by the paint bucket. How does that happen? I changed the tolerance, but it happens then too.

How can I clean this up without spending hours and hours filling individual little pixels? I see the work some of you have done, and it is just amazing. Can't believe I'm having trouble with a simple round shape!

Thanks

Jean

This may be the fault of your DPI (Dots Per Inch) settings.

The default DPI for Paint.NET is 96, since that is a common computer screen resolution. Personal-grade printing usually uses 300 DPI. So, if your image is only 96 DPI, the printer will stretch those 96 dots to fill the 300 it expects to put in an inch, resulting in a blurry, low quality image.

When you go to make your next image ([Crtl]+[N]), change the box before the pixels/inch drop-down from 96 to 300. This box can also be accessed in the Image -> Resize ([Ctrl]+[R]) and Image -> Canvas Size ([Ctrl]+[shift]+[R]) dialog boxes.

I hope that helps!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well, Crazy Man Dan, as much as I appreciated the tip, it didn't solve the problem.

Maybe I didn't explain it well: When I enlarge the image on screen, I can see the spaces that are not colored in. This results in the blurry image. Everything you guys do is so sharp and crisp!

All I'm doing is drawing a circle and filling it in...or trying to.

Jeanne

Spaces not filled in... Something perhaps like this:

spaces.png

If not, it'd help greatly if you could take a screen capture of the problem area and post it here.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I see now what you're talking about Bob - but it did not help. (I was looking at the wrong icon before.)

Anyway, I do see now that anything with a curved or rounded edge has that choppy look where you can see all the square little pixels. When I do a fill into a rectangle or square, it fills perfectly.

Jeanne

You can alleviate this to some extent by increasing the Tolerance. on layers where the only thing on them is the circle you're trying to fill, a Tolerance level of 68 usually works well.

Another way, if you're just trying to draw a filled circle, is to do as Bob suggested and change the drawing mode of the Ellipse tool to Draw Filled Shape.

If you're tying to fill in a circular outline with a gradient or pattern, then it gets a little more tricky. The easiest way is to create the pattern / gradient on a new layer behind the circle, switch to the circle layer and use the Magic Wand with a Tolerance of 68 to select the center of the circle, switch back to the pattern / gradient layer, hit [Ctrl]+ to invert the selection, and delete the stuff around the circle.

~ Becoming the Archetype

When I select the eliptical tool, select the icon for "draw filled shape with outline", and then go to paint bucket, select a color, click on the inside of the circle, it colors the entire canvas.

What's up with that? LOL

I need a manual.

...or a tutor?

(That's with tolerance at 68!)