A couple of suggestions for the Paint.NET forum

I've been using Paint.NET for a few weeks now. Great program! I learned about it through Wikipedia (so don't knock Wikipedia ;) ).

I just registered for the Paint.NET forums and I realized that there are 2 items that could make things a little easier on newbies.

1) Add a link back to the main Paint.NET site

I looked everywhere on the forum index page and couldn't find a link to the site anywhere. You never know when someone might need to go back to the main site. For example, I try to promote Paint.NET on other forums but sometimes I forget the exact URL. If I'm already on this forum, I could check the link to the main site and get the URL that way. It would be a simple matter to add the link, so I hope it gets added.

2) Post screenshots or links to screenshots of the board style options

I'm referring to the display options that can be set on our profile pages. It's nice that we can customize the display of the forums but the only way to tell what all the options look like is to reset the category and return to the forum index. With 10 options, it's a little cumbersome, especially for a newbie.

Couldn't there be a link next to the drop-down menu that leads to a page with thumbnails of each board style? Each of those thumbnails could be clickable to reveal a full-size image of the forum index in the various board style options. I don't think this would be that difficult to add either. Since I already cycled through all 10 options (and eventually selected the default subSilver), these thumbnails wouldn't help me, but they would help out other new users, or even long-time users who hadn't realized that they could change the board style.

I hope this isn't all too long winded, but I thought these two minor additions would enhance the forums without too much work.

well the main page is "getpaint.net" so thats easy enough to remember and about the board styles I dont think rick can really do anything about that you would have to take it up with phpBB forums (see link at bottom or forum)

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Actually, Forumer doesn't allow any of that. They're very strict about forum customization. If we had a Simple Machines forum on Rick Brewster's server we would be able do anything and have a more efficient and safer forum (and shorter URLs) *hint* *hint*

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Well actually, there are forum converters that can transfer all threads and posts from phpBB2 to SMF. But I'm not sure if it's possible with Forumer servers....

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

Actually, Forumer doesn't allow any of that. They're very strict about forum customization. If we had a Simple Machines forum on Rick Brewster's server we would be able do anything and have a more efficient and safer forum (and shorter URLs) *hint* *hint*

I think I've stated this before, but one of the big reasons I don't have the forum on my own server (e.g. http://forum.getpaint.net/ or http://www.getpaint.net/forum ) is because I don't have the time to do the full server administration (nor any experience at it). For example: installing and securing the forum software, installing patches for the forum software, etc. So while I do lose out on some other perks (full customization, advertising revenue), I am able to go to sleep at night without having to worry that I missed some security patch that let someone go in and hack your account or something.

Also, transferring the forum is not as simple a matter as you might think. All the users that have signed up for this forum have accepted Forumer's terms-of-service, and it may not be acceptable for me to just migrate their account without their permission.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Setting up a forum is relatively easy. If you pay a company for your website (i.e. Go Daddy), chances are that they have everything you need to start a forum. It only took me 30 minutes to get my SMF test forum up on my 110MB account (and I had no idea what I was doing at the time :P).

If you have a personal server, it may take a little getting into for me. From the information I got after 10 minutes of hardcore Googling is this: all you need to do is download php 5.2, mySQL 5.0, and SMF (duh).

If you want to add a forum mod (as in modificaton), all you need to do is put the .php file into the same directory as index.php unless stated otherwise. SMF also has easy to download packages that come in 3 forms—Full install, Large Update, and Small Update. It takes a matter of seconds to download the 1.7MB full installation.

Oh, and you don’t need to worry about security. It would take along time for a hacker to go log in with you FTP, MySQL (PhpMyAdmin if installed), SMF account, and SMF admin passwords. It’s basically just as safe as Forumer. You can also make backups of forum information.

I also believe that forumer would give you either temporary access to the paintdotnet forum database, or give you a backup copy of it to convert into SMF.... but maybe for a fee :?

Setting up a forum is relatively easy.

I know this. I've tried it myself -- copy, execute, done.

Oh, and you don’t need to worry about security.

Ok, that's where one can stop reading. Security is not just guessing or cracking passwords, usedHONDA.

Just believe me when I say that the benefits are strongly outweighed by the weight of the responsibility, and we'll leave it at that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well, I wasn't proposing anything as radical as switching forums or sites or whatever. Maybe there could be a pinned thread on the main forum that contains various administrative items, and one of the messages on that thread could contain links to screenshots of each of the board styles. This would be simple to do. No great overhaul needed.

And then another message on that thread could contain the link back to the main Paint.NET site. Yes, getpaint.net is easy to remember if you think to remember, but many people may simply click on a link somewhere to get to the site without reading the URL.

This pinned thread could include other useful links or simple administrative items. I'm sure other people will think of new items that could be added in the future.

I think I've stated this before, but one of the big reasons I don't have the forum on my own server (e.g. http://forum.getpaint.net/ or http://www.getpaint.net/forum ) is because I don't have the time to do the full server administration (nor any experience at it). For example: installing and securing the forum software, installing patches for the forum software, etc. So while I do lose out on some other perks (full customization, advertising revenue), I am able to go to sleep at night without having to worry that I missed some security patch that let someone go in and hack your account or something.

Also, transferring the forum is not as simple a matter as you might think. All the users that have signed up for this forum have accepted Forumer's terms-of-service, and it may not be acceptable for me to just migrate their account without their permission.

Gotta give it to the guy he thinks stuff through doesn't he?

Good job Rick ;D