Anti-aliasing...yes or no?

Something I've been wondering about for a while: :?

Could someone explain to me when it is good to disable anti-aliasing ( :AntiAliasingOff: :D ) and when it's good to keep it on? Some tutorials say to disable aa and some don't, so...I know what aa is but was wondering if I could get the experts to explain how to use it well.

Thanks in advance. 8)

Well I'm no expert and I'm not going to tell you how to use it, but I always keep it on for everything.

I just like having nice, clean, smooth images without jagged edges. It's just me. I'm sure there are many things that aa should be turned off for but I don't (not now anyway).

sigeb7.png

I haven't found AA to really play as much of an affect so far.

It sure plays a big role in 3d rendering, but so far, in 2d, as long as the image isn't mondo huge, I haven't seen any noticable difference.

Of course, I could just be blind. Hey, it can happen.

When in doubt, Try it out.

greenandfire.png

I made this sig file using http://www.anim8or.com and making all of the textures with http://www.getpaint.net

I love freeware.

Illnab, why? It doesn't show anyways in those cases.

Sagedavis, AA does infact help. Everything becomes more smooth, and looks better... unless you are running 800 x 600, in wich case an unblurry image is unavoidable.

Now if only the selection tools would have AA too.

I'll answer for Illnab: Anti-aliasing on perfectly horizontal and vertical lines adds blending on both tips, and if the brush size number is even, it will add shading lines on both sides. This is good in some cases, but sometimes a very sharp line is needed.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Thanks for the feedback...let me see if I'm getting this straight.

When you need to have things straight up/down/left/right, disabling the AA is good because it makes the tips of the line sharper and less rounded?

Also, what do you mean by shading lines? Do you mean (on a black line) having a pixel of grey running along the sides?

Test it you'll see:

Anti alias on, draw in column in the left side

base or radius 40px

a square

a circle

a triangle

a polygone

Anti alias OFF, draw in column in the RIGHT side

base or radius 40px

a square

a circle

a triangle