Edge help ...

Hey Guys / Gals,

I'm new to Paint.net and need some help, I managed to remove my picture from the black background which it was taken with, I then applied it over a gradient back drop. As you can see, the pic still has the black edges that I'd like to remove.

Is there a plug in that addresses all the edges at once or do I really have to lasso and blur a piece at a time?

Thank you,

Tim

post-142139-0-69389000-1437481545_thumb.

Hello again,

You can uste the AA's_Assistant effect. It will allow you to remove the dark outline. Apply it on the layer without the background. It looks like the original picture had a dark backround that is why you have the black edges... You also missed a few dark pixels that need to be removed. Did you notice that you have also removed some parts of the plant? If you are using the magic wand adjust the tolerance as you need it.

Edited by Eli

Hey Eli,

Thanks again for the help ....  my effort to create  the background change took place very quickly this morning, so it doesn't surprise me that I missed a few dark pixels and pruned the plant. I'm beginning to get an understanding of paint.net and look forward to learning AA's_Assistant effect.

Appreciate the help,

Tim

I'd be curious to see the original photo. I suspect you could do a better job of removing the background without leaving an edge. That, to me, seems like a better approach then removing the edge after the fact.

Hi ...  the pic is attached to the original post, I used the magic wand tool ....  don't know exactly what the next step would be to remove the black edge before utilizing one of the plug ins as recommended.

I'm brand new to Paint.net so you may want to speak slowly :-)

Thanks,

Tim

I see the processed version, but not the original, before the background was removed. I'm not sure why the Magic Wand would have left so much of a black edge. If you provide the original, with the black background (assuming you haven't already, and I just missed it), I think we can probably help you do a better job of removing the background. I don't think feathering or antialiasing will work nearly as well if you have a black edge surrounding the image. A feathered, antialiased black edge is still black, and will likely show up against the gradient background you want to add.

You should have started with a lower tolerance setting on the magic wand so that it doesn't chop out parts of the plant with the magic wand set at contiguous, not global to select the background and delete it. Then do the same for any black parts in among the parts of the flower that you want to get rid of. Now use some feather and adjust until the black is fuzzy. Now use AA's Assistant. If that doesn't take all the black outline off, repeat the feather and AA's Assistant again. Piece of cake.  ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery