I asked earlier about a possible plug in mod for the eraser, so that you have options like hardness, opacity, shape etc. Currently as I was told there is nothing in the planning for it.

So failing that, has anyone found a way to at least soften the edges of the eraser so that when using it, you don't get a definitive line, rather a blurred affect on the edges?

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

One way is to erase the area concerned, then use the gradient tool with default colours and do a transparent gradient along the hard edge of the remaining area.

I would post a picture to help but I am using my Nexus 7 to reply so I can't do that at the moment. Maybe someone else could help in that respect?

It would be useful if we had a soft eraser tool/plug in.

Pdnnoob , you must have posted while I was editing this. That is another option of course. ☺

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Use the v4.0 Beta version and adjust the eraser hardness.

Otherwise there's either this tutorial or you can lower the color opacity

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Goon thanks....although I don't quite follow that ....*facepalm*

The Beta 4 won't work on XP will it Noob? But I'll look at the tut, thank you so much :D

Ah. Nope it won't. Didn't realize you were on XP Sorry!

What Goonie is saying is you can use the gradient tool set to transparency mode as an eraser, or at least as a way of softening edges of your eraser marks.

Like this:

30n9534.jpg

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

If you're still on XP then please please be sure to read through this: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27530-reminder-paintnet-40-will-require-windows-7/

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I am Rick and unfortunately I won't be able to switch to Win8 for sometime until I get a new computer. This old clunker I doubt would run 8 anyway and as I am stretched for funds, its going to have to wait a while. I'll struggle on as best as I can , thank you for the update. :)

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"