Vignette1 plugin help or?

Aloha,

Could use some expert advice please...
When trying to make an avatar design I decided to use a sun shot I took, having the sun be the center of the avatar with text on top and around it.
My objective? I'm after a circular look around the center of the sun with a faded transparent edge an inch or so around the sun.

What I don't want out of this design is to see the faded or transparent colors bleed towards the edges of the photo frame.
In other words, it shouldn't be obvious the edge is there. The sun needs to look like it is independent from any border, frame or edge. Just the sun all by itself glowing.

The only tool I found so far that does comes close to what I need is the "Vignette1" tool. To do so, I have to set the tool up by removing the checked boxes in  - "set RGB to primary color" and "Invert transparency."
The Vignette1 tool settings default all 3 sliders at 1.00 and allows slider1 to (zero out) 0.00 completely but kills the entire photo. Sliders 2 and 3 I don't move as it stretches the fade in directions I don't need.

When slider1 is used under 1.00 at 0.75 it makes the effect more circular around the centered object, not oblong or oval like when at 1.00 and this is what I want to see.
However the problem is when Slider1 is moved under 1.00 it unfortunately reduces the total combined colors in the photo.
This is not the effect I want to see in the photo,  instead I need to retain the brightness, color and contrast of the original photo, yet make a near perfect - yet faded circular edge - around the sun about an inch or so, making the sun appear to be independent.
When the project is rendered as a .png file - and the Vignette1 tool is set at anything above 0.75 it won't allow a faded edge that's a perfect circle around the sun.
So there is a fine line here I cannot achieve with this tool.

Please see the test photo's I have linked to this request to understand the outcome. They are numbered sequentially starting from the Raw photo up to the overall fade of color in the photo when the Vignette1 tool Slider1 is reduced below 1.00 down to 0.75

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5BqzKfOEveKYlhhZEF5WlZwVWc/edit?usp=sharing
2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5BqzKfOEveKUEZSdjBTd3U5dU0/edit?usp=sharing
3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5BqzKfOEveKRXp4RzU5WmFxM0U/edit?usp=sharing

The tool or method I need for this project should:
1. Reduce the transparency circular around the sun or centered object.
2. Will not reduce the raw photo colors overall, only in the faded circular edge.
3. Form the faded transparency around the sun into a near perfect circle.

So I can move on, I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Boda

Edited by BODA

Sorry about that, I really frown on using photo hosting sites, some people can see my photos some cannot, I apologize for this...

Despite my links not working did my description above ring any bells of a plugin that works like Vignette1 for you?
I like to think my description is clear enough that a picture is not really necessary.
Any help would be great. Mahalo for responding...

Boda, you're also allowed to attach images to your post.  Click "More Reply Options" in the bottom right of the reply box to get to the uploader.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks xod, I downloaded the first image so I could see if I can help.

However, Boda, you could try a different hosting site.

These sites are normally the recommended ones :

TinyPic -- http://tinypic.com/

Photobucket -- http://photobucket.com/

-----------------------------------------------

About the avatar,

Boda, how familiar are you with using layers?

Do you know that the checkered background signifies transparency?

Have you been working on a canvas size that matches the recommended avatar sizes? I think avatars do get automatically re-sized these days, but sometimes the auto re-sizing can mess with aspect ratios. If you don't know the recommended avatar sizes, Forum Rule #14 mentions them, "Avatar size requirements: They must not be wider than 120 pixels, nor taller than 160 pixels."

Now then, I downloaded your first image, the one of the sun.

-- If you want a frame for your image, you can add a new layer and make it your top layer, then make your frame on that layer. There are several plugins I think that help make frames, but I don't have links to them on hand, sorry.

-- The best way I can fade your sun is to use the gradient tool, choose redial, and set things to transparency mode.

GradientTransparencyMode_zps66011b97.png

The image will become faint as it becomes sort of transparent, but duplicate the layer several times and it will re-gain it's color. Then merge the duplicated layers into one.

If your sun conflicts with your frame, you can use the "move selected pixels tool" and resize the sun. To maintain aspect ratio, hold shift while re-sizing. (if you need a screen cap on resizing, let me know.)

-- Now, to make a background instead of having things be transparent, add a new layer and move it to the bottom, then fill it with anything you want. A simple white fill, a different image, gradient it with gradient color mode, etc.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Aloha Cc,

Thanks for responding Cc.

I am not too proficient with using layers but I can get around.

Yes I do know that the checkerboard around the image is transparent.
I have personally made well over 500 png files for my library from photos of objects I photographed around the islands.
I am well versed in this department, or think I am...

I am also well versed in my avatar sizes and have many avatars I have made - this being the most difficult to work with so far.

As stated I do not want a frame around my picture/photo/image/sun I want the sun to appear as if it is independent from any edges, just a round sun floating in space.
The sun itself, I do not want faded, in fact as I explained, I would like to see a perfect circle around the sun about an inch out from the edge of the yellow part of the sun. Then I need to fade the edge of that circle - see the attached photo where I made a blue ring where I would like the fade or feathering to start then working outward to transparent or "0" zero.

The result, the sun appears to be independent as if floating in space, when used as a png file and inserted into any films I make or edit it will double as my watermark and avatar.

Here - you can see the result of my attempts in my Google+ site. For a better view of the problem with the current avatar scroll down
in my Google+ page to see the avatar larger, pay attention to the right side of the sun, see how the sun appears to have a mate?
It emits the suns color off to the right side when using the "Vingette1" plugin.
I don't want my avatar to look that amateur - is there a plugin that can make a perfect circle around the sun but then fade/feather the edge?

G+ - http://goo.gl/GX0cfe

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the tip on more options - I knew this but some of my images were larger than the size permitted so I chose to use my Google drive.

Mahalo,

Boda

post-100660-0-18278400-1396472150_thumb.

Edited by BODA

Have you tried cutting out your sun using the ellipse tool (hold shift to maintain a perfect circle)

Then used any of the following plugins?

Feather or Old Feather -- http://forums.getpai...ow-with-source/

TR's EFX http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26479-trs-edge-fader-extreme-v-505-dec-262013-pm/

And Alpha Blur (note, does not work in paint.net 4.0) http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/24280-alpha-blur-v2-2012-03-05/

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding (my fault not yours) but if you're using PDN 4.0 maybe use a brush setting on about 25-30 % hardness/softness for the orange part ?  

Experimenting with brush size and hardness as you go

sun.png

Mahalo for responding,

Tried the brush - it's way too hard to control when the end result needs to be a near perfect circle on the outer edge - I tried all percentages.

If you have the "Vingette1" plugin you can try and duplicate what I am trying to do with the picture attached.

What I like about the V1 plugin in is it will reduce the color along the edge of the photo circular as seen above.

However, it is very touchy and starts to manipulate the image with the slightest adjustment - in my case it silhouettes the sun to the side making the image look like it is stretched to the side. I spent a lot of time playing with it and many renders later no luck...

Here is the Raw image I am working from - note the blue circle - this is the size I want to make it while transparent around it - the hard part, making the feather / fade effect around the circles edge come out near perfect without manipulating the image. The actual photo is HD 3264x1832 this one has been reduced to 800x600

Mahalo for your help,

Boda

post-100660-0-32892700-1396482812_thumb.

Thanks xod, I downloaded the first image so I could see if I can help.

However, Boda, you could try a different hosting site.

These sites are normally the recommended ones :

TinyPic -- http://tinypic.com/

Photobucket -- http://photobucket.com/

-----------------------------------------------

About the avatar,

Boda, how familiar are you with using layers?

Do you know that the checkered background signifies transparency?

Have you been working on a canvas size that matches the recommended avatar sizes? I think avatars do get automatically re-sized these days, but sometimes the auto re-sizing can mess with aspect ratios. If you don't know the recommended avatar sizes, Forum Rule #14 mentions them, "Avatar size requirements: They must not be wider than 120 pixels, nor taller than 160 pixels."

Now then, I downloaded your first image, the one of the sun.

-- If you want a frame for your image, you can add a new layer and make it your top layer, then make your frame on that layer. There are several plugins I think that help make frames, but I don't have links to them on hand, sorry.

-- The best way I can fade your sun is to use the gradient tool, choose redial, and set things to transparency mode.

GradientTransparencyMode_zps66011b97.png

The image will become faint as it becomes sort of transparent, but duplicate the layer several times and it will re-gain it's color. Then merge the duplicated layers into one.

If your sun conflicts with your frame, you can use the "move selected pixels tool" and resize the sun. To maintain aspect ratio, hold shift while re-sizing. (if you need a screen cap on resizing, let me know.)

-- Now, to make a background instead of having things be transparent, add a new layer and move it to the bottom, then fill it with anything you want. A simple white fill, a different image, gradient it with gradient color mode, etc.

Hope this helps. :)

Mahalo Cc,

Be sure to read my response to you up above as I just found out how to reply to an individuals response.

Are you using 4.0? My PDN window doesn't have the tools you have displayed here. I am using 3.5.11

Yes please send a screen capture of of what to do when maintaining the aspect ratio and resizing the sun please...I could do it in another photo editor I use but I don't believe the results will be the same...

I wish someone that has used the V1 plugin extensively would respond, thinking maybe they have used some other plugin similar too that may do the job.

Mahalo nui,

Boda

Gradient Tool Options.
I am using paint.net 3.5.11 :)
Just choose your gradient tool :GradientTool: from your tools window, then look right under the menu bar to see the tool's options. The screen cap I showed you is an image of the gradient tool's options. Both versions of paint.net have options to every tool.
See this paint.net guide for paint.net's user interface : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.htm

Below I have tried to answer your other questions and provided pictures. However, to avoid flooding this thread with images, I've hidden them. Click "show" to see them.
----------------------------------------------
How to maintain aspect ratio.
When you make a selection, or edit a selection using the "Move Selection" Tool :MoveSelectionTool:, you can maintain the aspect ratio by clicking on the corner nods and holding the "Shift" button on your keyboard. I've circled the corner nods in this image :

Hidden Content:
CornerNods_zpscecac339.jpg

------------------------------------------------
Different Edge Fade Effects
Playing with your sun, I selected it with the ellipse tool, then inverted selection, and deleted the outside.
I then tested the different plugins that I have already suggested to you, plus the radial gradient.

Below are the results.

Using TR's EFX
Set to 34

Hidden Content:
EFXFadededges_zps0e777f32.jpg

Using Alpha Blur
Radius set to 21
Shift In <--  --> Out set to minus -127
Hidden Content:
AlphaBLurFadededges_zpsf454f34b.jpg

Using Feather
Set to 10
Hidden Content:
FeatheredEdges_zpsc1e5bda2.jpg

Using Radial Gradient.
For this technique I did NOT select the sun and delete the background.
Instead I used the full image and duplicated it three times.
For each layer I used the radial gradient tool set to transparency mode, and made each radial smaller than the other.
If you like how this looks, but my explanation of how I did it is too vague for you, just ask for more and I will try to show you.

Hidden Content:
GradientRadialsmalltobigger2_zps7eb5af64

For this I did the Radial Gradient & Alpha Blur.
alpha blur settings  1 and -26
Hidden Content:
GradientRadialampAlphaBlur2_zps7234dd22.

Sorry I have not played with Vignette yet to tell you any results for it. Even if I do play with it though, I may not be able to get the faded edge look that I think you want. Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Gradient Tool Options.

I am using paint.net 3.5.11 :)

Just choose your gradient tool :GradientTool: from your tools window, then look right under the menu bar to see the tool's options. The screen cap I showed you is an image of the gradient tool's options. Both versions of paint.net have options to every tool.

See this paint.net guide for paint.net's user interface : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.htm

Below I have tried to answer your other questions and provided pictures. However, to avoid flooding this thread with images, I've hidden them. Click "show" to see them.

----------------------------------------------

How to maintain aspect ratio.

When you make a selection, or edit a selection using the "Move Selection" Tool :MoveSelectionTool:, you can maintain the aspect ratio by clicking on the corner nods and holding the "Shift" button on your keyboard. I've circled the corner nods in this image :

Hidden Content:
CornerNods_zpscecac339.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Different Edge Fade Effects

Playing with your sun, I selected it with the ellipse tool, then inverted selection, and deleted the outside.

I then tested the different plugins that I have already suggested to you, plus the radial gradient.

Below are the results.

(By the way, if you don't know how to install plugins, you can learn here : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/ )

Using TR's EFX

Set to 34

Hidden Content:
EFXFadededges_zps0e777f32.jpg

Using Alpha Blur

Radius set to 21

Shift In <--  --> Out set to minus -127

Hidden Content:
AlphaBLurFadededges_zpsf454f34b.jpg

Using Feather

Set to 10

Hidden Content:
FeatheredEdges_zpsc1e5bda2.jpg

Using Radial Gradient.

For this technique I did NOT select the sun and delete the background.

Instead I used the full image and duplicated it three times.

For each layer I used the radial gradient tool set to transparency mode, and made each radial smaller than the other.

If you like how this looks, but my explanation of how I did it is too vague for you, just ask for more and I will try to show you.

Hidden Content:
GradientRadialsmalltobigger2_zps7eb5af64

For this I did the Radial Gradient & Alpha Blur.

alpha blur settings  1 and -26

Hidden Content:
GradientRadialampAlphaBlur2_zps7234dd22.

Sorry I have not played with Vignette yet to tell you any results for it. Even if I do play with it though, I may not be able to get the faded edge look that I think you want.

Mahalo nui loa  e' Cc!

Wow! I was in the wrong place when searching for the right plugin wasn't I?

I wasn't expecting this task to be that easy, wow....I don't know what to say...Mahalo..

Can I have your permission to use your work?

I mean I am going to teach myself how to use these plugins and methods thanks to you, but I could

really move on to the next phase now. Please, let me know?

I am saying it here and now to everyone that reads this post "Cc4FuzzyHuggles" has been a great help in solving my issue here. 

She has taught me some things I didn't know, making things simpler.

If she ever responds to your post you might want to be concise and clear with your objective but most of all take her

seriously, she's knows a thing or two! :-))

Cc, if you ever plan on coming to the Big Island, please contact me, Dinner, an amazing view and good conversation awaits...

I really appreciate your dedication to helping people here!

I consider this case CLOSED!

Me ke aloha pau`ole,

Boda

P.s. Please notify me about using your work...

Yes, you can use those images. :)
But, would you prefer them with transparent backgrounds so they are not restricted to white backgrounds?

Forum Quoting Tips :
Did you know you don't need to quote someone every time you want to reply to them? Quotes are best when you want to reply to a specific post but other posts are in between that specific post and your reply.
Also, you CAN edit the content that is in the quote box, delete any excesses stuff and quote only specific references. This will help keep some quotes smaller.

Edit:
Hey, I played with Vignette1 and unfortunately it's ability to make a "circle" is not the best. Which is sad, because that plugin has potential since it's center can be transparent and the plugin works on blank layers. Due to not being able to make a satisfying circle with Vignette1, I used Ed Harvey's Vignette instead. It does make circles and produces a very nice effect. But, none of the vignette plugins are able to have transparent edge fades. They are restricted to being solid edge fills, and Ed Harvey's is restricted to black only.
Despite Ed Harvey's being black only, I used invert colors to make a white version. Below are both black & white results from using Ed Havey's Vignette.

Ed Harvey's Vignette http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18811

Black Vignette
Offset -0.04 & -0.05 (offset for this plugin is just centering, so you can adjust to whatever looks centered to you)
Radius 0.37
The rest set to default.

Hidden Content:
VignetteSunBlackShading_zpsab4e3f36.png

How to do White Vignette
-- Open your image. Now, you will need to invert it's color. To do this go up to your menu bar > Click Adjustments Tab > Find "Invert Colors". Your sun should turn blue, don't freak out, we're not done yet. Besides, blue is cool. ;)
-- Next run Vignette
Offset -0.04 & -0.05
Radius 0.37
The rest set to default.
-- Last, go back up to your menu bar > Click Adjustments Tab > Find "Invert Colors"
Hidden Content:
VignetteSunWhiteShading_zps672c88da.png