Defaults or Commandline options

Speaking as a long-time user of Corel PP, I'm incredibly impressed with how sleek, compact, intuitive, quick and feature-rich Paint.NET is. 99% of the time, I use it for simple edits and launch selected photos in unique instances of Paint.NET through a commandline argument from another application. My question: is there a way to reset the default tool selection (or a commandline option to set it for each new launch)? I almost always need the Rectangle Select Tool and practically never the Paintbrush....

Many thanks for a great little alternative - not only to MS Paint, but to expensive and RAM-hungry bloatware.

There is not a command line option, but the tools each have shortcut keys. In this case, 'S' switches between the various selection tools. So you may launch Paint.NET, and then immediately press 'S' once because Rectangle Select is the first selection tool.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 years later...

BTW, I just happened to upgrade to v3.36 and noticed you subsequently included the ability to choose a default tool. Thanks a million - that was just what I needed. I've quit messing around with Corel altogether, thanks to you guys.

:D

Wow. A three year and one month necropost. I think that might be a record. :-)

I'm glad you found what you needed, but next time, per the rules, please open a new thread. Thanks! :-D

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.