was: simple navigation menu tabs, now: draw trapezoid

ok, I'm not getting a response to my last post so I'd like to simplify my request for help with creating shiny file folder tabs with white inserts.

I think I can do everything except create an outline of an isosceles trapezoid that I can then fill in with different colors.

Can someone please please help me with that?

I would really appreciate it - and it might help someone else also.

thanks!

1. On a new layer, draw and outline of half the trapezoid in red using the line tool

2. Duplicate the layer

3. Go to Layers>Flip Horizontal

4. Merge layer down

Now you have a red trapezoid. To change colors, go to adjustments>Hue/saturation and move the hue slider where you want it.

PS The reason I had you do it in red is that it is more difficult to change the color when you do it in black or white.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Wouldn't it be easier to draw a rectangle or filled rectangle then use Rotate/Zoom to make it into a trapezoid ?

Or the perspective plug-in could be used too. Quadrilateral reshape could be an option ...

Very true...why didn't I think of that? lol xD

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I took a break and now I'm back to working on this.

I couldn't work with the rotate/zoom tool, so I have:

1. created an outline of a trapezoid shape in powerpoint. It's transparent because I want to add gradients in paint.

2. created a new image in paint.net with canvas dimensions of my desired image size 130px x 40px high; the background is transparent.

2. pasted the trapezoid outline from powerpoint into paint image on layer 2

3. on layer three I used line/curve tool to put lines directly on top of the shape outline that's in layer 2.

4. de-select layer 2

5. tried to use the magic wand to select inside of shape only that's on layer 3, so I could copy and paste it into layer 4. Here's where I'm stuck.

My plan is to work with layer 4 and apply various gradients in subsequent layers - five color gradients on 5 separate layers.

Then select the layers I want and save each color shape as a separate image so I can use them as tabs for my website menu.

Can someone give me very basic instructions on how to make that selection on layer 3 to copy and paste into layer 4.

I have read

and still cannot do it.

I realize part of the problem may be my shape is transparent and so is my background. I'm embarrassed to say I cannot figure out the paint bucket/re-color tools either so not sure what to do next. And my success with gradient tool is inconsistent too.

Is any up to walking me through this step by step?

thanks in advance

Not sure if this is what you are after but,

1. Select inside your layer 3 outline with the magicwand tool

2. Now add a new layer

3. Now select gradient tool and the 2 colours you want and draw the gradient ( this will only show in the selected area )

4. repeat from step 1 ( each new layer must be on top so that you can see the gradient )

thanks for your reply. I am really having trouble with paint.

I finally got a couple of tabs by putting the shape on one layer and then creating each color gradient on a separate layer.

But it takes many tries before I can make the gradient apply to the shape and not the canvas or just the outline of the shape. And I have no idea what I'm doing differently when it does work.

The instructions in http://forums.getpai...__fromsearch__1 don't work.

I am so amazed at the images so many forum members can create as the most simple things are so difficult to me.

I appreciate your time in helping me make my simple tabs.

Edited by laraby

Not adding anything to what more knowledgeable members have written above, I’ll try to explain it in a bit more detail, using screenshots.

It’s always better to work with images bigger than your final target and then resize down by 50% or even 25% for your final graphic. This usually helps smooth out any jaggies or rough edges. So, the screenshots inside the spoiler will guide you to create trapezoid navigation buttons at double the size you need.

No plugins are needed and all tools are assumed to be default settings when you click on them for the first time. So, it may be worth your while to close Paint.NET, open it again and start working straight on your buttons.

iNXOs29OQqcsy.png

i61NmsDzhyO9A.png

ibw4KaWB35lwrd.png

iz18F54eAT7q7.png

iwpdS12uHlMxf.png

ixKJYJxpiPAtW.png

Xkds4Lh.png

Not adding anything to what more knowledgeable members have written above, I’ll try to explain it in a bit more detail, using screenshots.

It’s always better to work with images bigger than your final target and then resize down by 50% or even 25% for your final graphic. This usually helps smooth out any jaggies or rough edges. So, the screenshots inside the spoiler will guide you to create trapezoid navigation buttons at double the size you need.

No plugins are needed and all tools are assumed to be default settings when you click on them for the first time. So, it may be worth your while to close Paint.NET, open it again and start working straight on your buttons.

iNXOs29OQqcsy.png

i61NmsDzhyO9A.png

ibw4KaWB35lwrd.png

iz18F54eAT7q7.png

iwpdS12uHlMxf.png

ixKJYJxpiPAtW.png

Speech less! :-)

Avi

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)