How can I remove a background from an image and make it transparent?

I need the logo of my team from a game I play so I can modify or create profile cards. I have the original card and I'm trying to copy and paste the logo so I can use it on another image with a different background or theme. But when I copy and paste the logo I want to use, I use the "select" option and it goes with the original background. Is there an option so I can make the background dissappear and just get my logo on a transparent background for future use or edition? In this case I'm trying to make a St.Patrick's theme for the fan page of my team. Your suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken all you need to do is use the magic wand tool on the area around the logo and then press delete. You can fiddle with the tolerance bar if it doesn't come out the way you want.

I should actually probably maybe not be trying to answer this, since I just registered(!). But since I've been using it for a while now... :P

If I'm not mistaken all you need to do is use the magic wand tool on the area around the logo and then press delete. You can fiddle with the tolerance bar if it doesn't come out the way you want.

I should actually probably maybe not be trying to answer this, since I just registered(!). But since I've been using it for a while now... :P

Thank you so much...I will try that now. I only registered today, too!

Hi Rosie2407, welcome to the Paint.NET forum! boltbait.big_smile.png

Is your background a single uniform color or is it more complicated?

If it is uniform, the Magic Wand suggestion is probably the simplest thing to try first (fine tune the Tolerance via the Tool Bar as required).

If there are shadows involved, try this plugin: AlphaSpace. How to install plugins: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/36-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting/

If the background is still more complex (many colors, shades & possibly gradients) then this tutorial might help: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

Hello,

I am having some trouble using the Magic Wand method to make an image's background transparent. What I have done:

-Select Magic Wand

-Put tolerance to 0%

-Click on the area I want to make transparent. The area is outlined.

-Press Delete key

-The outlined area turns to checkerboard

-Save as PNG

I then select all, and copy the image. And then paste it over the top of another image. But the background that I previously made transparent is still white.

Am I doing something wrong? This is quite frustrating.

Are you trying to paste into a different program?

If not, try pasting into a new (blank) image and see what happens.

If pasting into a different program, open the .png file first and copy and paste from within that program.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

It sounds like you're doing the right things to remove the background, so I'm guessing it's an MSPaint issue.

The question is: Why are you using MSPaint when you have this awesome image editor already open in front of you? boltbait.big_smile.png

Try this:

Open both images in Paint.NET and perform the background removal. Then copy from one to an new layer in the second image. Transparency will be preserved.

The reason I have been using MSPaint is because when I paste image #1 on top of image #2 in Paint.Net, Image #1 maintains the checkerboard background around it. So I had to open up the combined image in another program to "confirm" that the checkerboard was in fact transparent, but unfortunately it's not. When I combine the images in Paint.Net, and then open the file using Windows Photo Viewer, the region that appears as checkerboard in Paint.net shows up as white. Basically, it's checkerboard in Paint.Net, and white everywhere else. And I don't know what to do to fix it.

Edited by Pasghettos

The checkerboard is, in fact, transparent. What you need to do is add a new layer and paste the image there. Otherwise, the transparent pixels overwrites your second image and mess it up.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo