Collage with Layers

I'm working on collages. I start with the template, say a sheet of 15 one inch squares. I add layer, then import from file smaller pictures that I put in the square, then merge the layer. At some point as I'm adding pictures to the sheet, the squares get smaller. They are no longer one inch. And I can't get them back to the original size. I printed it to test and sure enough, the squares were barely 3/4 inch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ETinLV

Squares don't magically get smaller. Did you notice exactly when the change in size happened? I think it may have something to do with your DPI in the program vs the DPI printed by your printer...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Squares don't magically get smaller. Did you notice exactly when the change in size happened? I think it may have something to do with your DPI in the program vs the DPI printed by your printer...

It happens somewhere during the adding of the pictures on top. I think it may be related to my using pictures that are really big. I make resize them to fit right on the collage but I think if it's too big it makes the whole piece smaller, if that makes sense.

It's not just smaller when I print. It's smaller right on the computer. Very weird. I'm doing another one now and making sure to make the pictures somewhat smaller before I add them to the collage, then just resizing to fit the box.

It happens somewhere during the adding of the pictures on top. I think it may be related to my using pictures that are really big. I make resize them to fit right on the collage but I think if it's too big it makes the whole piece smaller, if that makes sense.

It's not just smaller when I print. It's smaller right on the computer. Very weird. I'm doing another one now and making sure to make the pictures somewhat smaller before I add them to the collage, then just resizing to fit the box.

Ahh. When it asks if you wish to expand canvas, click "no" and scale the image to fit with the "move selected pixels" tool. The image didn't shrink, PDN just adjusted the zoom to fit your screen.

You probably have the image set to default DPI (I think that's 96 or something). When you resize the image (ctrl+r), you can change the DPI to 300. That, I think, should fix the problem.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Also, if the image keeps "getting smaller", it's probably because Paint.NET is automatically zooming out in order to fit it on screen. You can use the commands in the View menu to adjust this.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have the same issue - I Drag and drop a scenery photo in first layer - then a portrait on green screen in next layer

When the second layer appears, I see the scenery layer in the layers window, downsize and index to the upper left.

If I use the chroma Key at this point - It puts the scenery in the top left and off sets the portrait

Tried your zoom suggestion as follows

I have deselected top layer and tried to zoom scenery to fit the canvas - but when I reselect the top layer it is zoomed larger as well

Any suggestions

use Layer-Rotate/Zoom to increase the size of a single layeror you can use a selection tool then increase the size of the selection by manipulating the "handles" the little circles around the outside of the selection.. holding shift and left click on a corner handle will maintain aspect ratio while you increase size of the selection

the zoom you are using only increases the onscreen appearance-- so you can see finer details

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Thanks - Got the rotate/zoom to work after some practice -

I was able to get the sizing right but then the Chroma Key would not eliminate the green background

- I tried using the chroma key then re-size the background after - Had success doing it that way

Thanks again