Re-using .png files

Hi, I am new to paint.net and I have very limited knowledge of using this programme and the different methods. However I managed to delete a background and save it as a .png file, by using the tutorials, then I used it in a picture, however, the next time I wanted to use the same .png it didn't work as a transparent, can someone explain why please?

first.. i just tried it and it worked fine, bringing up a transparent image-- which mean you see the checkerboard background....are you sure you deleted the background image? or did you just set the background layers vissiblity to off? hitting the red X while the background layer is highlighted will delete it, unchecking the little box just renders it unseen, but its still there

now i must ask, what purpose is there to saving such a thing? if i want to start with a transparent image, i simply add a layer and delete the background, why bother with loading a transparent .png?

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

first.. i just tried it and it worked fine, bringing up a transparent image-- which mean you see the checkerboard background....are you sure you deleted the background image? or did you just set the background layers vissiblity to off? hitting the red X while the background layer is highlighted will delete it, unchecking the little box just renders it unseen, but its still there

now i must ask, what purpose is there to saving such a thing? if i want to start with a transparent image, i simply add a layer and delete the background, why bother with loading a transparent .png?

Thanks for your reply, yes, I deleted the background and it worked on a couple of pictures I was working on. But when I closed paint.net and then went back to it, the same .png came up with the chequered background. At the moment I am experimenting to find my way round paint.net. I have had very little experience with this kind of programme and want to learn more about it. As for the purpose of saving, being new to this I find it time consuming trying to delete the background with the magic wand and eraser, because I am not that good at it, so I thought I would save my transperancies for further use. Thanks again for your response. I will keep experimenting.

Another way to save it is to save it as a Paint.net file if you have room on your hard drive. Just delete the unwanted layers and save what you have left as a paint.net file using a different name. When you need it for a layer when making a picture just find where you saved it and add it as another layer and bang there it is just as you left it. The best thing is you can go back and get it at anytime. Happy experimenting,I am still doing the same. ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Thanks for your reply, yes, I deleted the background and it worked on a couple of pictures I was working on. But when I closed paint.net and then went back to it, the same .png came up with the chequered background. At the moment I am experimenting to find my way round paint.net. I have had very little experience with this kind of programme and want to learn more about it. As for the purpose of saving, being new to this I find it time consuming trying to delete the background with the magic wand and eraser, because I am not that good at it, so I thought I would save my transperancies for further use. Thanks again for your response. I will keep experimenting.

The chequered background means that the background is transparent. Try it...

Also using the magic wand on the background is time consuming & not always so accurate but you can adjust the tolerance too. Have a look at some of the Alpha Masking tutes. Perhaps a better way of working?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012