Make a text look Embossed?

okay so i was wrong. It is not my ink that is the problem... this is what i did

when i made the text look embossed... it changes the whole background on the page to like a dark gray. and since i would be using the text on a wedding invitation..i can't have that dark gray background... so my first thought was to use the magic wand and get rid of the background.. and it made the text look like this....i dont know how well u can see it.. i took the pic with my cellphone.. but it made the text look spotty... like parts of a letter are missing.. and the edges don't look right... and suggestions on how to fix that?

post-75648-12786909712_thumb.jpg

You could try using Effects --> Stylize --> Relief instead, that will at least get rid of the dark gray the Emboss creates.

i just tried that.. and maybe i am not following correctly i am not sure.. but i did efftects>stylize>emoboss then relief... still dark gray back ground... did i not follow u correctly?

Here's a download of the example .pdn file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00448394523409116575

In the .pdn file, Layer D is the text.

Layer C is a duplicate of Layer D turned white and moved up and to the left a few pixels.

Layer B is a duplicate of Layer D that has been blurred a bit.

Layer A is a duplicate of Layer B that has been moved down and to the right a few pixels.

(DropShadow)

The opacity has been reduced in Layers Properties, also.

===============================================

This is similar to what welshblue linked to.

About Layers in general.

Layers Wiki

Layers Window

Edited by Sarkut

OK, I have an idea for you. First, you have my plugin pack installed, right?

If so, try this:

Place some text on a layer by itself.

With the magic wand, Shift-Click a transparent pixel on that layer and press Ctrl-I to invert selection. This will make all your text selected.

Make that text layer invisible. Just be sure that the text that you can no longer see is still selected.

Add a new layer.

On that new layer, run my Effects > Selection > Bevel plugin. Adjust the slider to the way you like it.

You can then, fine-tune the look by playing with the layer opacity.

Here's a download of the example .pdn file:

http://s000.tinyuplo...394523409116575

In the .pdn file, Layer D is the text.

Layer C is a duplicate of Layer D turned white and moved up and to the left a few pixels.

Layer B is a duplicate of Layer D that has been blurred a bit.

Layer A is a duplicate of Layer B that has been moved down and to the right a few pixels.

(DropShadow)

The opacity has been reduced in Layers Properties, also.

This is similar to what welshblue linked to.

About Layers in general.

Layers Wiki

Layers Window

yeah that is all way over my head. lol it'll take me some time to digest that.. but thank you for ur help

If so, try this:

With the magic wand, Shift-Click a transparent pixel on that layer and press Ctrl-I to invert selection. This will make all your text selected.

Make that text layer invisible. Just be sure that the text that you can no longer see is still selected.

Add a new layer.

On that new layer, run my Effects > Selection > Bevel plugin. Adjust the slider to the way you like it.

that is all way over my head.... i'll try to do that.. but it will probably take quite a few tries before i get it right.. i have no experience with the "layers" but thank you for ur help

Yes, the background layer is separate (if you'll notice in the lower right corner). So, yeah, it'll totally do what you want.

one more thing..what is the plug in that i need to download?

You need to install my plugin pack. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-

Once you learn how to install plugins, a whole new world of Paint.NET goodness opens up to you. :D

If so, try this:

Add a new layer.

how do i make the text layer invisible? sorry if i'm bothering with the all the questions.... i'm just new to all the layers stuff and want to make sure i understand how to do it and am doing it right.

1. layer: background -> colour this with the background colour.

2. layer: text -> enter your text here, use stylize -> emboss on the text.

Now put layer 2 on overlay. Grey is invisible on overlay mode, white makes the background lighter and black makes the background darker. Emboss really works best when you use it with overlay blend mode.

ndeee2.png