Text Tool

Barbara Mc

I have been using PDN for probably about four years now and love it. I have PSP, but rarely use it. I updated to the v3.5.5 and it installed and it worked perfectly until I tried to use the text tool. Then I started getting the same error message. I have tried everything I've read in the forums and nothing works. I have un-installed the newest version and reinstalled several of the older versions, and the older versions work until you go to the text tool then I get the error. I downloaded the Microsoft Utility Cleanup program and ran that to make sure everything with PDN was gone before re-installing it, and again works great until I use the text tool. I went back to a restore point prior to the update and it still mucks up when you use the text tool. I emailed several of the PDN Crashlog reports. This is occurring on my laptop which is a Toshiba running Vista Home Premium SP2, 3.00 GB of memory. Now on my desktop, I installed the v3.5.5. My desktop is a HP, Vista Home Premium SP2, with 1.00 GB of memory. Everything works perfect on my desktop. I am lost and don't know what else to try.

Per your request, I un-installed the PDN v3.5.3....checked with the Windows Install Cleanup Utility and it was not showing. I disabled my firewall and went to the PDN and downloaded v3.5.5 from there. It installed again perfectly. Worked just as it should until I used the text tool and then I got the below attached error. Sorry if I'm not attaching the crash log correctly, It won't let me attach from the note pad. Thank you so much for any help you can give me. I am so addicted to PDN.

post-75440-127413925299_thumb.png

pdn_Crash_log_v_3_5_5_may_17_2010.rtf

The error code in the log is 0x88985003. After some digging, that is the DirectWrite error code for File Not Found.

I suspect you have a font that is incorrectly installed or has been deleted improperly (I'm not sure how/why). It's probably whichever font you're trying to use with the text tool.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

It happens with any font, just by selecting the text tool. Now, I had installed 2 new fonts and changed AV to Microsoft Security Essentials from Avast prior to updating my laptop to PDN v3.5.5 that night. I had already installed them on my desktop and they work fine. But after trying several things and the text tool still crashing PDN, I deleted the fonts and uninstalled the Microsoft Security Essentials, but it still didn't work. That is the only thing that I can think of that I changed other than updating to v3.5.5. If I had the fonts installed wrong and that is what caused this problem, how can I correct it? I just tried the text tool in PSPx2 and Artweaver on my laptop and they both work. I truly love PDN and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Barbara Mc

Did the text tool work before or is this new?

You said you recently updated to PDN v3.5.5. What version did you update from? Was it v3.5 - v3.5.4, or an older one like v3.36?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think v3.5.4...it was the previous version. I had it set to notify me when an update was available and always updated. Text tool has always worked awesomely:} This is new just since the update to v3.5.5. But....when I couldn't get v3.5.5 to work after trying everything, I uninstalled it, used the utility cleanup and re-installed an older version. Worked great until I used the text tool. Same error. I think I have tried 3 other older versions of PDN w/the same results. I have no idea what the problem is.

Please don't assume anything is obvious to me. I am totally addicted, but a newbie for an old lady. But yes, I have any number of times. I also went back to a restore point prior to installing the new version. Rebooted...after every un-install or anything I re-boot. This is happening on my laptop which I only use when I'm working. I much prefer my desktop at home....sign of my age. But my laptop is newer and has more memory. I am using FF instead of IE because of the layouts I make and most of my cohorts use FF. PDN has always installed directly with no problem with FF. Just throwing this out there because I figure the more you know the more you have to work with.

O.K. I'm still worrying with this thing and goggling everything in sight trying to figure this out. I love PDN. I have posted on the Forums at Toshiba and Geeks To Go and have had no response there. New twist to the duh factor. This morning I thought about resetting the defaults. Had not done this. Duh. So I just went back in and reset them and the text tool worked. After I quit hitting my head against the wall, I tried it again. It still worked...default font is Arial. So I tried selecting another font that I work with a lot and has been installed on my computers for well over a year, and yep, it crashed. Tried Georgia font....doesn't crash...does this ring a bell to anyone about anything I could try? I really appreciate any assistance.

I have tried several, Milk Script and Edwardian Script are two right off the top of my head that have always worked before and crash PDN now. About half of the fonts installed are not showing the font preview in PDN....those are the ones that make it crash....if the preview in the font selector is showing, it doesn't crash. Thank you!

What operating system are you using?

Can you attach a screenshot of your fonts list please?

(Toshiba Satellite L305D) Vista Home Premium SP2, 3.00 GB of memory.

Here is a partial screenshot of font list:

post-75440-127454880382_thumb.png

Okay try this:

Make a new folder on your desktop

Go to Control Panel > Fonts, select all of the fonts, cut and paste into the new folder. (I don't think it lets you cut, so just copy all of them, paste into folder, and delete)

Restart (close then open) PdN.

Check your fonts list - there should be nothing.

Now close PdN, bring back the fonts to your Fonts folder.

Reopen it.

Edited by csm725

I can select all the fonts, I can copy all the fonts, but it won't let me paste them or move them into the new folder on the desktop.

Are you up-to-date on Windows Update?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Absolutely. Set to auto update. But will go do manually just to make sure:}

Updated. No updates available.

Here's another thing to try:

Open any folder.

In the top-header of the Windows Explorer window, click on:

Organize > Folder and Search Options > View

Put a tick in:

Show hidden files and folders

---------------

Remove the check mark from:

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

---------------

Now navigate to, and delete this file.

C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Reboot the PC, and check whether crashing still happens.

Wow, you guys are awesome:} That did the trick....Heart stops when I start going in and deleting stuff, lol. Thank you all so much....I have been working on this fix for almost a month now. Do I need to go back in and change any of those settings? It was already selected to:

Do I need to check:

Thank you so much:}

Yes, go ahead and change those settings back to what they were.

If the crashing problems recur, do this again.

Edited by Sarkut

Do I need to check:

I recommend you do so, as do the folks at Microsoft. ;)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

OK guys I'm back at the drawing board again ref to my text tools on PDN. Originally just selecting the font tool made PDN crash. Saturday after worrying around with the program for weeks, I finally thought about resetting the defaults. When I reset them, I had limited use of the text tool but about half of the fonts did not show in the preview and if you selected any of those fonts, PDN would crash w/unexpected error. The wonderful guys here at PDN worked with me and came up with this to solve my problem:

Open any folder.

In the top-header of the Windows Explorer window, click on:

Organize > Folder and Search Options > View

Put a tick in:

---------------

Remove the check mark from:

---------------

Now navigate to, and delete this file.

C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Reboot the PC, and check whether crashing still happens.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

This worked and restored my entire fonts in the text tool. I played around with it and it worked fine. This is occurring on my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L305D, Vista Home Premium SP2, 3.00 GB of memory. I prefer my desktop so after the problem was resolved I turned the laptop off and moved back to my desktop. Had surgery yesterday, confined to rest today, so back to my laptop, and guess what? Opened up PDN and everything worked well until I selected the text tool. Again only half the fonts were showing in the preview. So I went back through the steps that solved the problem Saturday, rebooted, and nothing, same results. Just to be sure I had done it correctly, I redid it again step by step, rebooted and again, same results. OK, so I went to the control panel and uninstalled PDN with the uninstaller and reinstalled it again hoping that it would install with the text tool intact. Still did not. I am attaching the most recent crash log that I did after I reinstalled today, along with the screen shot of how the text tool shows up and the error. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-75440-127482277191_thumb.png

post-75440-127482278499_thumb.png

Edited by Barbara Mc