how to use this type of mask

Yes, I am a newbie. And YES, I have searched for this before posting. I am only able to find stuff about some "alpha mask plugin" and I'm still not sure what that's all about but I am just looking for a tut on how to use a mask like this:

mgt_mask-1.png

I see these on free digital scrapbooking blogs but the tuts are always for Photoshop and I've tried following them but not getting anywhere. I guess most digital scrappers don't use paint.net so I'm at a loss!

The following requires the alpha mask import by illnab.

Take that image copy it to your clipboard now open the image you want to mask.

then open the alpha mask import plugin.

make sure invert mask, mix alpha, and paste clipboard are checkmarked and press ok and boom your image is masked.

edited: to make it easier.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Ok please forgive me, but I am still not getting it. I got the alpha mask import and then followed the steps above...this is what happened:

help.jpg

So then I tried layer properties>blending mode: multiply and got this:

help2.jpg

which is a little better but.....hmmmm what am I do wrong? i want to be able to read the word "boy" at the top.

ok since you changed your instructions let me go back and re-try....brb!

no you shouldn't I will check it out and see whats up with it. Well i took a look at it and its going to be hard to keep the letters in that mask.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Thanks Chad for the explanation, first, for best result, you have to fill the background of the mask with white if you're not saving it as jpg. ( best file type is PNG for masks))

Second lindsay2181, I can see your images and layers in your post, I think you are not using the alpha mask plugin in a right way, you have to import the Mask file through the plugin not as a new layer, hope this will help.

lindsay2181,

Open your background image in Paint.NET.

Import the black mask as a new layer.

In the top menu - Layers > Import From File...

Use the Move Selected Pixels tool to position the mask. :MoveTool:

Be sure that the word "BOY" is over a dark area.

You can resize the mask with the Move Selected Pixels tool

on a corner adjustment node with the Shift key held down.

Load the mask layer into the Clipboard:

Ctrl A

Ctrl C

Remove the checkmark from the mask layer in the Layers

window, to make the mask not visible.

--------------------------------

Apply the Alpha Mask effect to the background layer with all

boxes checkmarked in the Alpha Mask effect window.

Delete the mask layer.

Save as PNG.

ok sarkut, thank you! i guess i don't really have a good pic to use with this mask b/c everything i have is close up and it would work better with a landscape pic of someone farther away. but your instructions did the trick and this is my result:

031-5.png

so THANK YOU!!!! will have to bookmark this for future reference until i can remember it on my own!

I'm trying to do this but I am not having much luck. It is cropping but the wrong thing.

Step-1

314z13o.jpg

Step-2

j9on4h.jpg

Step-3

xrerm.jpg

Step-4 (Is this supposed to happen? when i open the alpha mask settings everything dissapears)

29m0xo9.jpg

Step-5 (Well in the alpha mask settings it had an option to browse for a mask file, which i did and below is the result. It's not quite what I was expecting, but almost what I was after. I only wanted 1 circle and everything outside of the circle to be cropped, not the other way around.)

9sc605.jpg

What am I doing wrong?