I'm unable to 'add a layer'

This sounds very stupid, but I can't see how to 'add a layer' - when I click on 'add a layer' nothing happens(!) Any ideas?

Is there a compatibility problem with Windows Vista or something?

Any advice is much appreciated.

And no, I'm not a newbie to Paint.net. I've created several posters using multiple layers before so I know the proceedure, however it seems to have stopped offering the 'add a layer' fascility. Very odd!

I should add that in the layer box (for layer 1), there is a small orange star on the top left of the box. What does that mean?

thanks

Never heard of that problem before. I suggest you gives us a pictures so we are sure what you're talking about.

My best advice for now is save your image and restart PdN.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

thanks for all the help. Just went to oldversion.com and downloaded an early version of paint.net which works fine. (This must be the version I used at college which is so much easier and better than the current version)

I think that proves there's an incompatibility issue between the current paint.net and at least one version of Vista (mine) and that's a shame.

thanks again

Nothing wrong with mine and I have the latest version (3.36) and Vista Basic. It`s worked fine from day one.

If you get a black screen when you try to take a screenshot I would suggest it is your PC at fault,not PDN. I can take screenshots using Prnt Scrn or my Bug Shooting screen capture software without any problems.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

thanks for all the help. Just went to oldversion.com and downloaded an early version of paint.net which works fine. (This must be the version I used at college which is so much easier and better than the current version)

I think that proves there's an incompatibility issue between the current paint.net and at least one version of Vista (mine) and that's a shame.

thanks again

Try the beta version of 3.5 in the preview center. You may actually post with that version installed; you may not seek support in this forum with an older version.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.