Fill in Gradient for Outline Text

Ok, first, I am sorry if this has been asked and answered (god, is that not the worst first line EVER! :roll: ). I have an outline font that I like "bored school boys". It is an outline text. I am trying to apply a gradient to the inside of it. The best i have been able to do is get the outline to change colors. There are some gaps in the text, so I realize I might have to make them connect, which is no problem, but I can't seem to get a gradient within the text. I have looked at a couple of tuts, but that just seems to apply them to the outline. I have done an alpha mask, tried selecting the text and deleting the gradient from the above layer, but it only seems to apply to the outline. Do I need to fill in the text with black and then apply the gradient? Many thanks appreciated. I hope I did this correctly. Some of you scare me with posting things in the wrong places/not searching enough. :shock:

If your characters have a continuous outline, and the inside of the of each character is a one color (or similar shades), then you can select the inside and treat it like any regular selection. E.G. select the inside with the magic wand tool :MagicWandTool:and then apply the gradient :GradientTool: to the selected region.

If the selection bleeds into the outline (or outside it), try reducing the magic wand tolerance and re-selecting.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick, give us a sample picture to look at and I'm sure someone will give you a quick solution.