Maximun Number Of Layers?

I tried a search for this, and returned No Results.

I am using a large number of layers for a project I am working on, and I am running into an error from PDN preventing me from opening more layers due to memory issues.

"There was not enough memory to perform the action." is the text error PDN gives.

The file I am working with is ONLY about 20 mB.

I have tried saving/closing file and reopen, but get same results, regardless of clearing out all history etc...

I am running latest PDN on WIN XP Pro, Dual Core 3.2 Ghz P4 with 3GB Ram.

Thank You in Advance for help offered.

My project is on hold until I get this figured out :-(

I tried a search for this, and returned No Results.

I am using a large number of layers for a project I am working on, and I am running into an error from PDN preventing me from opening more layers due to memory issues.

"There was not enough memory to perform the action." is the text error PDN gives.

The file I am working with is ONLY about 20 mB.

I have tried saving/closing file and reopen, but get same results, regardless of clearing out all history etc...

I am running latest PDN on WIN XP Pro, Dual Core 3.2 Ghz P4 with 3GB Ram.

Thank You in Advance for help offered.

My project is on hold until I get this figured out :-(

There's a sticky'd thread at the top of the Troubleshooting forum about memory errors that will explain all. :-)

EDIT: For example, if the pixel size of your image is 8000x6000, your maximum number of layers with that system is 14. This is assuming that Windows takes none of it, that you have no other programs running, etc. -- which, of course, is not true.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

There's a sticky'd thread at the top of the Troubleshooting forum about memory errors that will explain all. :-)

EDIT: For example, if the pixel size of your image is 8000x6000, your maximum number of layers with that system is 14. This is assuming that Windows takes none of it, that you have no other programs running, etc. -- which, of course, is not true.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Actually, my image is 1850x1150, and is currently comprised of more than 190 layers.

Yes, 190.

:shock:

...and I still have at least a Dozen pages open in Firefox as well as all my IM and other web communication software running....

Actually, my image is 1850x1150, and is currently comprised of more than 190 layers.

Yes, 190.

:shock:

...and I still have at least a Dozen pages open in Firefox as well as all my IM and other web communication software running....

1850 * 1150=2,127,500 pixels per layer

2127500 pixels per layer * 192 layers=408,480,000 pixels (counting the compositing layer and scratch surface)

408480000 pixels*4 bytes per pixel=1,633,920,000 bytes of memory

1,633,920,000 bytes of memory = 1595625 KiB = 1558.23 MiB = 1.57 GiB.

Your image takes up 1.57 gig of RAM. No wonder you're running out of memory.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

1850 * 1150=2,127,500 pixels per layer

2127500 pixels per layer * 192 layers=408,480,000 pixels (counting the compositing layer and scratch surface)

408480000 pixels*4 bytes per pixel=1,633,920,000 bytes of memory

1,633,920,000 bytes of memory = 1595625 KiB = 1558.23 MiB = 1.57 GiB.

Your image takes up 1.57 gig of RAM. No wonder you're running out of memory.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

According to this post, v3.5 will use signifally less memory. About 55% less this that test case.

Memory usage is also significantly lower. On my test case with a big pile of high resolution JPEGs, v3.36 uses about 1.8gb of memory to open them all. v3.5 uses 800mb or so.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

According to this post, v3.5 will use signifally less memory. About 55% less this that test case.

Memory usage is also significantly lower. On my test case with a big pile of high resolution JPEGs, v3.36 uses about 1.8gb of memory to open them all. v3.5 uses 800mb or so.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I read that one, but it refers to a "File too large" fault.

This is not what I am experiencing.

I changed the name. Feeling better now? :-P

I never intended that post to be specific to only that error message. This was the intent. Thank you for drawing my attention to this problem.

I read that one, but it refers to a "File too large" fault.

This is not what I am experiencing.

I changed the name. Feeling better now? :-P

I never intended that post to be specific to only that error message. This was the intent. Thank you for drawing my attention to this problem.