Export function is really really missing

Deadl0ck

Paint.net is a GREAT application but the biggest omission IMO is an Export function. I use PDN primarily for creating graphics for websites and windows application and for that purpose I have to save various different BMP and PNG files which I base on the same PDN file but typically with different layers enabled or other minor adjustments applied.

Using the Save As option is a real PITA, because not only does this FORCE me to flatten all layers (yes I know I can undo this, but really I didn't want this to happen in the first place so why should I undo something I don't want to happen eh :P) but much worse: it also changes the filename of the loaded PDN into the exported file! This causes confusion for me and next time I want to do a regular save next time the filename is messed up.

Come on folks... how hard can it be to add a little Export item to the File menu, which does a quick internal flatten and leaves the current state of the loaded file untouched?

It would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Greetings Deadl0ck.

This has already been the topic of discussion before. Whilst these topics never received a definitive 'yay' or 'nay' to an export function becoming a part of Paint.NET, suggestions for a pseudo-export was put forth. This simple procedure is exactly what you've been doing so far: flattening, saving, undoing the flatten, continuing with work.

For the moment, and for the foreseeable future, this is what you'll have to do to export your design mid-production.

This simple procedure is exactly what you've been doing so far: flattening, saving, undoing the flatten, continuing with work.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately like I stated this messes up the filename, since "undo" doesn't undo the filename which has been selected for the Save As, which really makes this... well... not that much of a pseudo-export.

I understand that you cannot give a definite confirmation about the addition of this function but I would like to stress that IMO this should really be in the top range of the todo list... This is really a pivotal function in ANY multi-layer graphics program. In fact you'd be hard-pressed to find one which doesn't have it ;-)

You see, A LOT if not most Paint.net users export their multi-layer source graphics to JPG/PNG/BMP/GIF since well, PDN is a nice format but not very useful outside paint.net itself so it's not like it would be a hardly used niche-feature that only a handful of webdesigners and programmers would benefit from. It is seemingly not an incredibly hard feature to add either I'd imagine or would it?

Unfortunately like I stated this messes up the filename, since "undo" doesn't undo the filename...
Well 'pseudo-' does have the definition of 'almost' ;). Admittedly, whilst it's not perfect, it's all we have.
I would like to stress that IMO this should really be in the top range of the todo list
I hold-heartedly agree. Honestly, I do, and I can bet ten British pence on the fact that a fair decent of other users would appreciate an export feature also. Saying that, we've learned to work around this with virtually no complaints. This is mainly because Rick Brewster, the lead developer, is already aware of the want and desire for the inclusion of said feature, therefore there's no need to hammer the point.

If it arrives, then it arrives and we'll be happy with it. But we can't say that the whole Paint.NET project or its user-base will deteriorate (substantially) without it ;).

Come on folks... how hard can it be to add a little Export item to the File menu, which does a quick internal flatten and leaves the current state of the loaded file untouched?
It is seemingly not an incredibly hard feature to add either I'd imagine or would it?

:shock: *covers Rick's ears*

Don't ever let Rick hear you say that! He'll rip off your arm and hit puppies with it!

:P

Anyway, I'm a web designer myself and kind of a keyboard shortcut-monkey. This is the method I use to grab bits and pieces of a larger design while preserving the file name of the original.

With your image the way you want it - layer visibility and whatnot - for the section you're trying to get:

1) Create your Rectangular Selection around the area you want

2) [Ctrl]+[shift]+[F] - Flatten the image

3) [Ctrl]+[C] - Copy the merged section

4) [Ctrl]+[Z] - Restore the layers

5) [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V] - Paste as a new image

6) [Ctrl]+ - Save the new image as your separated piece

7) [Ctrl]+[W] - Close the new image to keep the tabs free of clutter

So, it's seven steps, but it's pretty quick because it's all keyboard shortcuts. The trick is to never take your finger off the [Ctrl] key. ;)

Give it a shot, and who knows: it just might work for you too! Perchance it will help somewhat in the interim.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

:shock: *covers Rick's ears*

Don't ever let Rick hear you say that! He'll rip off your arm and hit puppies with it!

Well, I'm a programmer too... I fact I'd add the function myself and I'd stop complaining were it not for the fact that the source is no longer available :(

In any case, thanks Dan for the workaround.

@Myrddin: I didn't know Rick was aware of this, I didn't see the item in the feature request topic 8)

It is true that the user-base probably won't deteriorate if this feature is lacking... but then again... is Paint.net primarily about maintaining/getting a large user-base? :wink:

It is true that the user-base probably won't deteriorate if this feature is lacking... but then again... is Paint.net primarily about maintaining/getting a large user-base? :wink:

Well, I would imagine so. It's a major source of income for Rick. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I fact I'd add the function myself and I'd stop complaining were it not for the fact that the source is no longer available :(

Even then, he didn't accept code contributions.

KaHuc.png

I fact I'd add the function myself and I'd stop complaining were it not for the fact that the source is no longer available :(

Even then, he didn't accept code contributions.

I know but then at least I'd have an export function :wink: