Create Rectangle with Rounded Corners in JPG Format

Hi,

I am trying to crop a scanned picture with rounded corners. I followed 2 instructions, but the results are the same - the space beyond the corners are filled with white color when saved as JPG. If I save it as PNG, the image displayed as having rounded corners since the arrow region is transparent. So is it doable when saved as JPG? Which step am I missing?

Thank you

Henry

and

image.thumb.png.54c37396470e7df5aa5ea11e5d5b054c.png

Edited by gnulab
Typo in Title

• gnulab changed the title to Create Rectangle with Rounded Corners in JPG Format

Another way, because jpg is not transparent, is to draw a rounded rectangle, slightly smaller than your scanned image then:

1. select inside the rectangle.

2. go to the image, then hit delete.

3. hide your rectangle layer and flatten.

4.  Use AA's Assistant to clean up.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi @Pixey

Not too sure about the steps.

These are the steps you provided in the previous topic.

1. Import your picture into PDN, which will be on its own layer.
  2. Make a new Layer and, using the Shapes Tool, draw a line where you want to crop it.
  3. With the magic wand, select inside the rounded rectangle, go to your picture layer, use Ctrl and I on your computer (to invert the selection) and then hit delete on your computer.
  4. Uncheck the back ground and rounded rectangle layers and Flatten the image and Save As and choose the format you want in the dropdown for either PNG or JPEG or whatever.

So, step 1 and 2 of your new instruction is different than step 3 of the old instruction?

And AA's Assistant to clean up? I tried and the image is still without the rounded edges.

Sorry, I'm quite a newbie.

Henry

Okay, you need to practice using layers ....... and to get used to what the "select" an image can do.

1.  On one layer, have your scanned image.

2.  Draw a rounded rectangle on a new layer: rectangle shape found in the shapes area, under basic shapes.

3.  With the magic wand, select the inside of the rectangle.  Check flood mode (in the upper bar on the canvas) is set to 'contiguous'.

4.  Move to the image layer and use Ctrl + I on the keyboard, which will invert the selection.

5.  Then hit Crop to selection - or just  hit delete.

6.  Uncheck the rectangle layer and flatten.

7.  Use AA's Assistant to clean up.

But, remember that saving as .png will retain transparency.

rounded-rectangle.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.