DPI Setting Changes Magically

Go to solution Solved by null54,

The DPI setting seems to change when a file is either saved or opened. To see the issue, open a new image by selecting FILE > NEW. Type ctrl-r to see the DPI setting. It should be 96.00 pixels/inch. Save the file then close it. Re-open it and examine the DPI setting by pressing ctrl-r. On my machine, the setting will now be 95.99 pixels/inch. I've found that going through a few cycles of the following steps causes the DPI setting to eventually stabilize:

1: Set the DPI to the desired measurement

2: Save the image

3: Close the image

4: Re-open the image

5: Reset the DPI

6: Repeat as necessary

The DPI setting changes more than just .01 pixels/inch for different size images. I use 300 DPI for images that have text and the setting often magically changes to 299.95 pixels/inch, which is enough to cause a difference in the size of the text (new text added to an image doesn't quite match the size of text that was added before the DPI changed). It's not a huge bug and the workaround is reliable but the bug has persisted through numerous updates so I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you to the developer(s) for this awesome program!

Kind regards,

Dave Swaim

• Solution
3 hours ago, Dave Swaim said:

The DPI setting seems to change when a file is either saved or opened. To see the issue, open a new image by selecting FILE > NEW. Type ctrl-r to see the DPI setting. It should be 96.00 pixels/inch. Save the file then close it. Re-open it and examine the DPI setting by pressing ctrl-r. On my machine, the setting will now be 95.99 pixels/inch.

What format are you saving as?

Some formats such as PNG cannot store the DPI information without loosing precision. See the following post for more information:

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait