Modifying a .dds image, after saving it goes bad and pixelated?

Go to solution Solved by null54,

I have a .dds image, I just want to move it on the canvas (it's at the bottom and i want to move it somewhere else)

It's kind of a faint white aura, a bit transparent.

I select it and use the move selected pixels tool. But after doing my thing and saving, it goes bad.

Do I have to change something in how the file is saved?

before.png

after.png

Edited by wattbatt

7 hours ago, wattbatt said:

Do I have to change something in how the file is saved?

What format are you saving it as? Some of the DDS formats (e.g. BC1/DXT1) do not support transparency.

Currently, the Paint.NET DDS plugin does not remember the settings of a loaded DDS File when saving. This should hopefully be fixed in the future.

As a workaround, you can run the DirectXTex texdiag tool on the original file to get the settings you need to use when saving.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, null54 said:

What format are you saving it as? Some of the DDS formats (e.g. BC1/DXT1) do not support transparency.

Currently, the Paint.NET DDS plugin does not remember the settings of a loaded DDS File when saving. This should hopefully be fixed in the future.

As a workaround, you can run the DirectXTex texdiag tool on the original file to get the settings you need to use when saving.

I just let it save with the first it came up with which was BC1 (Linear, DXT1)

I cannot get to use that texdiag thing. It's a command line operation right? I downloaded it ran the exe then typed texdiag into command line but it says command not recognized

• Solution
23 minutes ago, wattbatt said:

It's a command line operation right?

Yes it is. You have to run the texdiag command from within the same folder as the executable for the command prompt to find it, or give the command prompt the full path to the texdiag executable. Same with any files that texdiag needs to read.

The texdiag command you use is: texdiag info file.dds

28 minutes ago, wattbatt said:

I just let it save with the first it came up with which was BC1 (Linear, DXT1)

DXT1 does not support semi-transparent pixels, which it looks like your original image has. BC2 (Linear, DXT3) and BC3 (Linear, DXT5) do support semi-transparency.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait