Tooltips are not displayed after the Tools, Layers, and History windows are hidden then made visible again using the Utility Window icons

Version tested 5.0.11

Bug Description:

Tooltips in the Tools, Layers, and History windows are no longer displayed if those windows are hidden and then made visible again by clicking on the Utility Window icons.

Reproduction

1. Start Paint.NET and display the Tools window.

2. Exit Paint.NET then and restart it. The Tools window is displayed as expected.

3. Hover the mouse pointer over an icon in the Tools window. Note that the tooltip is displayed as expected:

image.png

4. Hide the Tools window by clicking on its Utility Window icon.

5. Make the Tools window visible again by clicking on its Utility Window icon.

6. Hover the mouse pointer over an icon in the Tools window. Note that the tooltip is not displayed.

image.png

Notes:

The same bug occurs for the icon tooltips in the Layers and History windows.

The window's tooltips will remain inoperative until you click on the Tools/Layers/History window title bar (NB. clicking on an icon in the window does not restore tooltips).

The suppression of the tooltips as described above does not occur if you use F5, F6, F7 to hide and redisplay the windows.

The 'Swap colors' icon tooltip in the Colors window is not affected by this bug.

Expected behaviour:

Tooltips should always be displayed when hovering over icons in the Tools, Layers, and History windows regardless of when and how they have been displayed.

Edited by Tactilis

I can't reproduce this.  It works fine for me.  I've closed them all, every which way and the tool tips still show up.  I didn't use the F stops at all.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, Tactilis said:

Tooltips in the Tools, Layers, and History windows are no longer displayed if those windows are hidden and then made visible again by clicking on the Utility Window icons.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:31 PM, Pixey said:

Ahhh - I'm still on Windows 10 🤔

I have the same thing reproducing on Windows 10.

Just checked, Paint.net 5.0.11, Win 10 issue is there.
If any of the top right buttons (Tools, History, Layers...) is pressed tooltips are gone.
Creating new document resets tooltips back.

Update:
Also, I think there is an issue with Help button and menu drop-down.
If clicked on Help button, menu is displayed, but moving cursor away (Help menu not focused anymore) it closes, and then tooltips don't show at all.
Clicking again on Help button resets or "closes" the menu correctly.

This is probably related to:

Edited by Lemonade
added link to post

For what it's worth, I don't get tooltips for any of the subwindows, even after a fresh restart; I'm just assuming the layers/colors/history windows are supposed to have some too. Toggling the subwindows doesn't change anything. Tooltips work for the main window itself. Windows 11.

33 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

If any of the top right buttons (Tools, History, Layers...) is pressed tooltips are gone.

Confirming what I reported. So it does occur on Windows 10 as well as 11.

25 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

If any of the buttons are activated with keyboard shortcuts (F5, F6, F7, F8, Alt+X), tooltips work fine

Also confirming my report.

26 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

but Alt+H for Help disables tooltips

By which, I think you mean "Alt+H for Help disables tooltips while the Help menu is displayed. They return after the menu is dismissed."

This is normal behaviour.

For example, press Alt+F for the File menu. While menus are active, tooltips throughout Paint.NET are suppressed.

You'll see the same behaviour in other apps.

The suppression of the tooltips after clicking the Utility Windows buttons is a bug.

3 minutes ago, frio said:

For what it's worth, I don't get tooltips for any of the subwindows, even after a fresh restart; I'm just assuming the layers/colors/history windows are supposed to have some too. Toggling the subwindows doesn't change anything. Tooltips work for the main window itself. Windows 11.

Are you saying that after doing exactly this...

1. Start Paint.NET
2. Display the Tools, Layers, Colors, and History windows.

3. Exit Paint.NET

4. Start Paint.NET (the above windows will be automatically displayed)

5. Hover the pointer over a Tools window tool button, or a Layers button.

...you do not get any tooltips?

If so, that is an additional problem to what I reported.

Yes, this time I tested it - I had problems.  The Tool Tips return with movement of layers.  Here is a video of what I experienced.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Tactilis said:

By which, I think you mean "Alt+H for Help disables tooltips while the Help menu is displayed. They return after the menu is dismissed."

This is normal behaviour.

For example, press Alt+F for the File menu. While menus are active, tooltips throughout Paint.NET are suppressed.

You'll see the same behaviour in other apps.

The suppression of the tooltips after clicking the Utility Windows buttons is a bug.

There is a difference in Left side menus behaviour and Help menu.

Steps for left side menus:
- Click once on File, Edit or any listed item

- Menu is displayed

- Move cursor away from the menu or buttons, menu is still displayed
- To dismiss active menu, click anywhere

This is a normal behaviour.

Help Menu:

- Click ? button once
- move cursor to the left but not over the menu below
- Help menu closes as soon as the cursor leaves button area
- Tooltips don't show unless clicked on Help ? button again

Edited by Lemonade

1 hour ago, Tactilis said:

.you do not get any tooltips?

Nope, under any condition I don't get tooltips for the subwindows. Doesn't seem to make a difference to toggle any of the windows, restart the program, they just don't appear. Only the main window ones work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I can repro, I suspect it's yet another WinForms weirdism. It'd be nice to have this fixed, but fixing this sort of thing usually involves some skulduggery (like hacking into WinForms private fields via reflection).

• Thanks 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg