No DDS thumbnails visible, just icons

adadada25
Go to solution Solved by adadada25,

• Solution
*** UPDATE ***
Solved it. Apparently Windows Registry had an old record or whatever pointing to a program I used before Paint.Net and that was messing up the thumbnails as well as showing an old "Open with..." suggestion for that same program that had been uninstalled. Now the thumbnails show correctly and it had nothing to do with Paint.Net but crappy Windows, as usual.

Admins/moderators: Feel free to delete this if deemed appropriate.
*** UPDATE ***

This issue started today as I edited a DDS texture, after saving the file no longer displays a thumbnail, only the Paint.Net icon.
The thumbnails are also gone for most DDS files I have on my computer. When I download new DDS textures, the thumbnails are displayed for some of them but not others.

Diffuse textures were displayed as thumbnails more often than normals and speculars, not sure how it's relevant or is it just random.
I'm using 5.0.2. Portable. Updated a few days ago and was using the previous as portable as well.

No other file type other than DDS has this issue so I think something is wrong with DDS thumbnail handling and it's because of a bad PaintNet installation or something on my Windows thumbnail settings but I can't figure it out.

I've tried setting File Explorer settings to always show thumbnails and it does work for all other file types as I mentioned, but DDSs won't show the thumbnail which makes working with thousands of textures really frustrating. Could be that it happens with other programs as well but I haven't tried Gimp yet. Has anyone had any similar issues with DDS files?

Icon.PNG

Edited by adadada25
Solved the issue.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
36 minutes ago, Sigma said:

I had the problem after moving the paint.net directory to a different folder

That is the cause of your issue.

If paint.net is not located in the folder that it was installed to the code that handles the thumbnails for DDS, PDN, etc will not work.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Just now, Sigma said:

Ok thx, do you suggest to uninstall and reinstall the program in the new folder or is there a quicker method?

Uninstalling and reinstalling would be the best method, you will need to move paint.net back to its original folder before uninstalling it.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait