Paint.Net Selection Handles & Text Control (my 2 main annoyances with PDN)

Hi,

I find it really annoying that unlike virtually every other product in the universe handles are not displayed when a selection is made so that you can adjust the selection.  I keep forgetting that I need to press 2 x "M" keys to be able to do so.   I can't think of any reason this is "good".    Others incorrectly say to use the "Move tool".  Is there any way to make this the default behaviour?

Also I can't think of any possible reason the text control is so bad. You can't go back and edit the size or actual text. If you undo it undoes everything, surely a simple hack would be to save an undo point at the point just before the text is submitted so the first undo takes you back to editing and the next to undo it completely.  Of course remembering the objects until you apply them (& having an object selection tool) like many other tools would be better as you can edit and move them etc in any order...

1 hour ago, dbareis said:

Is there any way to make this the default behaviour?

Sorry, there is not.

Didn't you stop using paint.net last year?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welcome back!

On 5/25/2020 at 12:18 AM, dbareis said:

... I'm finally sick of it and changing to a different editor.

• Haha 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

9 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Didn't you stop using paint.net last year?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welcome back!

These 2 issues drive me mad.  I've looked at a fair few other editors and tried another two today.  I will eventually find a better and simpler alternative but I have many other more important things on my list 🙂

Actually I've been using the editing features of ScreenshotCaptor more, but while it is better for those two things it has some features I don't like as well.

Edited by dbareis
ScreenshotCaptor

Also I can't think of any possible reason the text control is so bad.

The "reason" that "the text control is so bad" is that it's a huge amount of work to improve it to the level that it needs to be, and many other things have taken priority over the years.

🙄 Code doesn't just get wished into existence, it takes effort, skill, and time. It's a lot of work.

• Like 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@dbareis

Lets not forget Paint is a graphics application - Not a word processor. The work that has been done to allow text to be used in the app is excellent if you have the right plugins. For example I recently imported a 40 page PDF and rebuilt it in Paint. The secret is having Notepad running in the background for any text edits. Once the edits are completed, its just a copy and paste into Paint (Watch out for those margins) 😊

• Like 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png