Plugins Install Fail, Windows 10 Store

Hello,

After several hours of searching, I had to give up and ask here.

I have used Paint.Net for several years, but had to leave my Windows 7 computer behind and start using Windows 10 on August 4, 2020 (I think the date is relevant). Although I have donated to Paint.Net in the past, I didn't mind the small purchase price. It installed just fine.

When I went to install some of the plugins I had been using, Win was willing to let me use the installer, but I was informed that Paint.Net is NOT installed. Not hardly! This has to do with buried system files and such. I obtained permissions (insulting, it's my computer after all) and tried again. Not happening.

Trying a .dll install in the file that I opened, I was denied permission. Since I am new to Win10, there's no way I was going to try to change ownership from System to my name. That could cause serious problems later.

Other discussions on .dll problems seem to be outdated because, if I am understanding it correctly, very recent changes in both MS and Paint.Net structures.

Am I stuck going without plugins, at least until there are further developments?

If you installed Paint.NET from the Microsoft Store, the instructions for adding plugins is slightly different:

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Try installing my plugin pack, link in sig.

It will tell you that it can't find Paint.NET--ignore that.

Then, on the main screen there is a checkbox that allows you to select the Store version of Paint.NET, check that.  Then install everything.

See if that works and report back.

• Upvote 1

Howdy BoltBait,

I didn't see your link in a sig, but found your pack. To quote Adrian Monk, "Here's what happened".

After downloading and clicking the installer, then accepting the agreement, I select install. The Windows Defender blocked access to the folder. After switching that off for a moment, I was able to select the features I thought may be helpful for me and was able to continue. Also, I added some other .dlls that I had saved from before. The Vandermotten installer still claims that I do not have Paint.Net installed so I could not make that happen (no separate .dll files to copy over).

Thanks for your help, and maybe my experience with the virus/malware/ransomeware protection may give others some insight. Also, the fact that currently, the Windows Store and Win10 are acting mighty proprietary.

47 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

It's about giving yourself administrator privileges.

Admin privileges are not required to add plugins when you have Paint.NET installed from the Microsoft Store.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

Admin privileges are not required to add plugins when you have Paint.NET installed from the Microsoft Store.

FWIW, my plugin pack still prompts for Admin privs when installing plugins for the store version because the installer has to work in both cases (store and not store).