Palette of 256 colors

I'm developing for ZX Spectrum Next, and I need a 256 color palette to work.

With Gimp I can use 256 color palette, but with Paint.net there only 96 colors in the palette.

Questions:

Can Paint.net work with 256 colors palette?

Can any plugin convert image palette to the selected palette? I tested "Recolor using Palette", but only works with 96 colors, and "TR's ColorReducer" but don't work with my palette, it uses his own from the image.
Can Paint reduce color to 8bit deep?

Thanks for your time and help!

3 hours ago, Duefectu said:

I'm developing for ZX Spectrum Next, and I need a 256 color palette to work.

With Gimp I can use 256 color palette, but with Paint.net there only 96 colors in the palette.

Questions:

Can Paint.net work with 256 colors palette?

Can any plugin convert image palette to the selected palette? I tested "Recolor using Palette", but only works with 96 colors, and "TR's ColorReducer" but don't work with my palette, it uses his own from the image.
Can Paint reduce color to 8bit deep?

Thanks for your time and help!

There is this plugin, but it's not convenient. -

G'MIC Filter Developer

If you need to reduce an image to an 8-bit color palette, you can also save it to an 8-bit PNG and then re-open it.

However, once reopened the image is converted back to 32-bit BGRA (in-memory that is, the file on disk isn't affected), even if only 256 colors are actually used. So any modifications may step outside of those 256 colors and adversely affect the image once it's saved again. You can't constrain editing to 8-bits, in other words.

I've filed a bug/task to look into expanding the Colors window to be able to work with 256 colors. However, it will probably be awhile. There's a lot of other stuff to do that's much higher on the priority list!

• Like 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

24 minutes ago, Duefectu said:

Thanks @Reptillian but it's not that I need.

Right now, there isn't any good options other than going into other software because Paint.NET is never meant for 8-bit editing ala GraFx2 or Pro Motion NG.

However, I can write up a G'MIC script to import gpl and then insert it right back to the canvas. I already have a G'MIC-QT GUI filter that allows you to reduce color named Transfer Colors[Reduced Colors] using a layer as reference. That's all I can do to help.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

• 1 month later...