Keeping background transparency--how?

I've searched the forum and checked the Help files but was confused with some answers to my problem. I created an image on a transparent background, then saved it in the png format. But, when I opened it in Paint Shop Pro, the background was black. I've experimented with the transparency settings but still do not get a transparent background. Is there another setting I need to know about?

RockinNana.gif

Saving as 32-bit gives it a white background.
Then your image has a white background as the 32-bit PNG version retains the image's alpha information (the additional 8 bits over the 24-bit PNG is the space non-colour data is saved with, as in alpha data).

May I assume you can see the chequerboard pattern behind your image to indicate transparency? If not, and the image is still in its layered state, uncheck the visibility of the whitened layer or delete it completely, then save. However, if the image is not layered, then you will need to cut out the background; you can do this in two main ways:

• -
Cutting Out Images the Easy Way tutorial; or
- the process of alpha masking (plugin | tutorial). You follow the same steps as the above tutorial except you create a mask at the end of it and use the associated plugin. Depending how well you create your mask, you can produce some professional-looking cut-outs.

24-bit saving would insert a white background, 32-bit would not.

May I assume you can see the chequerboard pattern behind your image to indicate transparency? If not, and the image is still in its layered state, uncheck the visibility of the whitened layer or delete it completely, then save.

I already did that before I posted the question. I tried everything I could think of before posting to avoid an unnecessary question. :wink: The white layer was deleted, leaving only the transparent layer.

RockinNana.gif

Maybe Paint Shop Pro is not handling the Alpha correctly?

well, I found the answer to my problem. I use PSP v8 and PSP's understanding of png files is limited to 24-bit (no translucency) color depth. I'd have to upgrade to PSP v10 to be able to do that.

Thank you all for your replies and your help! :D

RockinNana.gif