How to Clone Small Vector Graphic and Fill Large Canvas?

Hello,

I have small vector graphic (snow flake) which I want to fill large 4000x4000 canvas with. Example:

stitches_2017-11-08_10-55-34.jpg.e0d2c414423d9faa9f8f33f0133f5715.jpg

What is the right steps to do that? I assume I will have to use InkScape to work with

small vector in order to resize and duplicate it all over the large canvas to fill it entirely?

Thanks.

Hello,

Paint.net isn't vector graphic editor. You could rescale an image with different qualiy choice.

But what do you want at the end on your 4000x4000 canvas? 1 big snowflake or the canvas filled with small snowflakes.

For 1 just rescale an image

For a lot you could use Fill from file or File from clipboard.

crochet.png

• 4 weeks later...

@MJW Maybe it would be better if I drew one little "stitch" in Inkscape and then made a small tile of it with several "stitches" so I could do the tiling thing? You mentioned raster but would it have 300 DPI? If not, I could do what I asked about in vector program and set DPI beforehand?

Edited by TechnicGeek

1 hour ago, TechnicGeek said:

Maybe it would be better if I drew one little "stitch" in Inkscape and then made a small tile of it with several "stitches" so I could do the tiling thing? You mentioned raster but would it have 300 DPI? If not, I could do what I asked about in vector program and set DPI beforehand?

To fill a 4000x4000, you could:

Make a raster version of the stitch from the vector version. Probably the canvas size should be around 800x800 (or whatever proportion the stitch is), but it depends on the image. You only need to make a single stitch, which should fill the canvas in the way you want it to appear when tiled.

Copy the image to the clipboard.

Go to the 4000x400 canvas and run Paste From Clipboard.

Set the Tiling control  to  Tiled.

Adjust the Size control to the desired size.

Enable Antialiasing, and probably set the Antialias Quality to the maximum value.

To use Aardvark, make a 4000x4000 version of a single stitch. You could make a smaller version, then Resize the image. If the stitch isn't square, that will change the proportion. That's okay, since you can readjust it with the Aardvark Zoom controls.

Run Aardvark

Set the Tiling Options to Repeat.

Adjust the Horizontal (X) Zoom and Vertical (Y) Zoom controls for the desired repetitions. Delink the controls if the zoom values are different.

Adjust the Antialias (Max Samples) value. Aardvark allows a wide range.

(I'm not clear about the 300 DPI issue, or why it would matter.)

I realize that's probably not as good and converting it directly from a tiled vector version, but I don't know any way to do that with PDN. Perhaps there's a vector image program that can do that.