Paint.net Crash on Startup; Log within

I recently installed Paint.net on my system and I keep gettting a "There was an unhandled error, and Paint.NET must be closed. Refer to the file 'pdncrash.log', which has been placed on your desktop, for more information".

I believe Paint.net worked on this system before so it is very confusing. In addition, I searched on the internet and on these forums but I found no solution. I'll be happy to provide any other details and thanks in advance.

- Sithguy

Pdncrash.log

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.
Please e-mail this file to crashlog@getpaint.net so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.35 (Final Release build 3.35.3106.20184)
Time of crash: 7/26/2008 8:04:48 PM
Application uptime: 00:00:00.1503810
OS Version: 6.0.6000.0 Workstation x86
.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.1433 x86
Processor: 2x "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          4300  @ 1.80GHz" @ ~1795MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3)
Physical memory: 2045 MB
UI DPI: 96.00 dpi (1.00x scale)
Tablet PC: no
Updates: true, 3/30/2008
Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US
Features log: 
Loaded assemblies: 
   mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll
   PaintDotNet, Version=3.35.3106.20184, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe
   System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll
   System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll
   System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll
   PaintDotNet.Core, Version=3.35.3106.20179, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Core.dll
   PaintDotNet.Base, Version=3.35.3106.20178, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Base.dll
   PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version=3.35.3106.20178, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.dll
   PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=3.35.3106.20179, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Resources.dll
   PaintDotNet.Data, Version=3.35.3106.20180, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Data.dll

Exception details:
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
  at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight(Graphics graphics)
  at System.Drawing.Font.get_SizeInPoints()
  at System.Drawing.SystemFonts.FontInPoints(Font font)
  at System.Drawing.SystemFonts.get_MenuFont()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.get_DefaultFont()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.get_Font()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemInternalLayout.CommonLayoutOptions()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownButton.ToolStripDropDownButtonInternalLayout.CommonLayoutOptions()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemInternalLayout.GetLayoutData()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemInternalLayout.PerformLayout()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.OnBoundsChanged()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.SetBounds(Rectangle bounds)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripOverflowButton.SetBounds(Rectangle bounds)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.set_Size(Size value)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.get_OverflowButton()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripSplitStackLayout.get_OverflowButtonSize()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripSplitStackLayout.LayoutHorizontal()
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripSplitStackLayout.LayoutCore(IArrangedElement container, LayoutEventArgs layoutEventArgs)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Layout.LayoutEngine.Layout(Object container, LayoutEventArgs layoutEventArgs)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnLayout(LayoutEventArgs levent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnLayout(LayoutEventArgs levent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnLayout(LayoutEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout(LayoutEventArgs args)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ResumeLayout(Boolean performLayout)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip..ctor()
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip..ctor()
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.MenuStripEx..ctor()
  at PaintDotNet.Menus.PdnMainMenu..ctor()
  at PaintDotNet.PdnToolBar.InitializeComponent()
  at PaintDotNet.PdnToolBar..ctor()
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.InitializeComponent()
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace..ctor()
  at PaintDotNet.MainForm.InitializeComponent()
  at PaintDotNet.MainForm..ctor(String[] args)
  at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart2()
  at PaintDotNet.Startup.Start()
  at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe you set that yourself in the Windows Display Properties dialog, under the Appearance tab.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I changed my menu fonts and such to Times New Roman, its was Segoe UI, but I get the exact same error. Thanks for the suggestion but does anyone know how to fix this problem. I used Paint.net to edit frames and no other editor is as good, but now Paint.net won't work. Any help I can have it greatly appreciated.

-Sithguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same issue as sithguy with the same exact stack trace but different version:

Application version: Paint.NET v3.36 (Final Release build 3.36.3158.38068)

I've tried reinstalling Paint.NET and the .NET Framework and still no luck.

I haven't altered my fonts and I don't really have the luxury of removing them all and restoring them somehow.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advanced!

• 2 months later...

This seems to be an issue with the Vista Aero theme. I was getting the same errors as above, but when I switched from the Windows Aero theme to the Windows Classic theme, I was able to use Paint.NET normally.

It's kind of annoying to downgrade the visual appearance of my entire desktop just to use one application. Is there a way the developers can track down the issue and support the Aero theme fonts?