Imorting A Font/Easy Project I Am Trying To Accomplish

ABKStorm

Hello,

I am new to the program and I have a question for a project that I am doing...My question: Is there a way to import a font from somewhere so that I may use it to create a logo?

Here is what I am doing...looking at pictures I have attached as examples, I am looking at making a logo that looks like the "AWN" logo but using the word "FREEFiXX"...The font comes from dafont and it is called "Skater Girls Rock"...I would like to use that lettering to create a logo which is no bigger than say 350 X 100 (at the largest)(The current logo I have, with no reflection on the front...So just the word FREEFiXX is 300 X 70)...The lettering face would have that 2-color effect with red (FF0000) on the top, going into grey (AAAAAA) on the bottom...Then also have that mirror/reflection effect in front of the letters but reflect only about halfway up (so not the entire letter-face)...One thing I also noticed is that it looks like in between the letters "i" and the first "X" there is an extra hair of space...Meaning it looks to me like they could be pushed together a tad...

That's it, that's all I want to do and I am sure it is very simple and just a few steps but I am completely lost using these types of programs and could use some help...If someone likes doing these kinds of things and would like to create it, that would be wonderful and if not, I will try and figure it out once I can get the answer as to how to import the font...

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any help that you could give...I appreciate it greatly... :)

--Richard

post-146942-0-88799800-1461543029_thumb.

post-146942-0-66998400-1461543053_thumb.

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
post-146942-0-72621800-1462270976_thumb.
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Hi ABKStorm. Welcome :D

First we need to get your font onto your system and the text onto your image.

• Download the font from Dafont.
  • Install the font on your system.
  • Open paint.net
  • Create a new image the correct dimensions.
  • Select the Text Tool (1) and choose 'Skater Girls Rock' from the drop down list (2).
  • Set the font size (3)
  • Type in your text (4)
  • Save the image as a *.pdn (we'll be coming back to it - PDN format preserves the layer structure).
SkaterGR.png

Edit: Oh dear Photobucket - it looked fine yesterday :roll: Maybe you shouldn't have fiddled with it?

• Upvote 1

That seems to be the easy part for me...I had the font I just couldn't figure out how to make it show up in the program...Dahhhh...Would have been nice if I actually installed the font onto my own system :)

I have done the first eight steps which you provided here...And let me say, thank you very much for the detailed image with the numbering...That was very nice of you, thank you again!!

So, as I said, I do have the file saved in the PDN format and am ready for more...:)

--Richard

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Well done that man ;)

Now its time for the gradient effect on the letters.

1. Reopen the image

2. Find the layer with the text on it and highlight it in the layers window.

3. Expand the Colors window and type in you red color to set the Primary color.

4. Switch to the Secondary color and type in your grey color.

The little color squares in the top left of the Colors window should show both your red and grey colors.

5. Activate the magic wand tool :MagicWandTool:

6. Hold down the shift key & click anywhere on the logo lettering to select them all.

7. Add a new layer to work on :addnewlayer:

8. Activate the gradient tool :GradientTool:

9. Somewhere just above the text click and drag the mouse downwards. This drags out a gradient over the letters. Pro tip: hold down the shift key to constrain the angle of the gradient to 15 degree multiples. Makes it much easier to do a vertical gradient ;)

Resave/Save as a pdn.

• Upvote 1

After following EER's tutorial.

Added a little bevel effect and a drop shadow.

Duplicated the layer and flipped one of the layers vertically.

Selected Gradient tool and changed the color mode to "transparency". :)

skater-font-4f31d3d.png

• Upvote 2

Wow...Excellent!! Thank You Very Much!!
I am jumping on this right now now that work for the week is over for a few days...

I will certainly show you the finished results as soon as it is done...

I really appreciate this, I cannot thank you enough...I will get back to you soon!! :)

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Thank you very much EGO, your instructions are very clear and it was very easy to do...I now have a nice 2 color word but then I was trying to do the next part here which was explained by ELI and I cannot seem to find where I am supposed to be or what I am supposed to be doing...I do not know how to add "bevel effect" or "drop shadow" and I cannot seem to find them in the program after looking through the options a few times...So I am stuck right here...I am very sorry I am just not understanding so if someone could help me out and tell me where I am supposed to be that would be excellent and then I think the project will be finished!! :)

One more thing I would like to ask...The logo itself needs to be either on a black or transparent background and I was wondering if you could also help me out with this one too...Thank you very much again, this has been great so far...Once this is done, this will be the logo on my new website!! :D

--RiCHaRD

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Bevel and Drop Shadow must be applied to groups of pixels on an otherwise transparent layer.

I'd Bevel the top text layer, and drop shadow the bottom text layer (assuming you still have two text layers).

For a transparent background, hide any layers you have active except the two text layers. It should show a grey and white checkerboard pattern around the text - this denotes transparency.

Save it as a PNG - because these support transparency! :D

For a black background, add a new layer and fill it with black (Ctrl + A = select all then backspace key to fill it with the Primary color or use the Paint Bucket tool). Drag this layer below the text layers and save image as your master PDN. Resave it using Save AS... in any other format you need.

• Upvote 1

:D

Here is what I ended with...Thank you so much for all of your help...I think it looks okay, no? :)

--RiCHaRD

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Nice job. The edges have a little jaggedness. To smooth them out you could run AA's Assistant or Object Bevel plugin over the top text layer.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the further advice on smoothing out the lettering...I do think it looks excellent the way it is now, but I am sure it will look much better once I do that but I guess I will have to start the project over to do that because once you save the image it smashes the layers together...I'm just glad I have a finished project right now which looks halfway decent and once things are up-and-running I believe I will work on the "new and improved" logo...Right now their is so much work to do with the site and that hour could go towards some more content!!

Thank you very much again...What an awesome program Paint is!! :D

WwW.FREEFiXX.CoM
RiCHaRD *ABK* SToRM

Pro tip: always save you images as *.pdn images while you're developing them. The native pdn format preserves the layer structure.

When you've finished working on the image AND saved it as a pdn, THEN use Save As... to save it in the format you desire (PNG, jpg, etc).