Lost the Tools and Layers Sub-windows

Paint.net is great. But I'm having a problem. Suddenly my Tools box (or window it that's the term) and my Layers box won't open when I click on the little icons in upper right or when I hit the F5 and F7 keys. The Colors and History boxes still open normally. I'm using 4.0.9 in Windows 7, Chrome. I rebooted but no change. 

Split from old topic and moved to correct forum.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you so much for trying to help me. Under Install/Uninstall Programs in Windows I selected Paint.net and hit Repair. This downloaded something from dotPDNLLC in about ten seconds. I rebooted but this did not fix it. Is PDNrepair.exe something different and if so how do I find it? 

Under Install/Uninstall Programs in Windows I selected Paint.net and hit Repair.

No. Wrong way. I've said "in the installation directory", so the path should normally be: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET4.

There is a program Pdnrepair.exe and you have to start it. You can also click on START in the taskbar and type in the search field pdnrepair.exe. It should appear in the list and you can click it.

Edited by IRON67

*facepalm* This back and forth could go on for too long. Try running this file.

Reset Windows.zip 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\paint.net]
"Window/Tools/Bounds"=-
"Window/Colors/Bounds"=-
"Window/History/Bounds"=-
"Window/Layers/Bounds"=-
  • Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It is now fixed. Iron67 and BoltBait thank you! Somehow my monitors which had been mirrored became extended on their own. I ran the PDNrepair.exe per Iron67 and it restored the function to the boxes but they were split off on the other monitor. So putting what you both said together it is now working. How and why it or my computer changef on its own remains a mystery to me. As Arthur C. Clarke said the science of today is the mystery and awe of the past. Thanks! 

As Arthur C. Clarke said the science of today is the mystery and awe of the past. Thanks! 

If I remember correctly, he said, that Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ;)

Thanks for feedback.

Edited by IRON67