How to Install Plugins ×

Sprite Animation Helper (v 1.0.1.3 updated April 30, 2022)

recursor

I often use Paint .NET to make or modify sprite sheets, and one of the things I've always wanted to do was see the animation in action without having to leave Paint .NET. This plugin will allow you to do just that. It lets you view any sequence of animations within a sprite sheet by adjusting the offset, # of columns, and the total # of frames. You can also save all the frames off to individual .png files. Saving an animation as an animated GIF is also supported.

New version 1.0.1.3 available (3/11/2022)

Download it here.

(The plugin is free but donations are appreciated to support further development if you find it useful)

v1.0.1.3 Notes

• Handle PrivilegeNotHeldException when attempting to determine Directory access rights. This was causing a crash anytime the user tried to save individual frames or a frame strip.

v1.0.1.2 Notes

• Fixed a threading issue that could cause the plugin to crash
  • Previous cell dimensions and offsets are now checked to make sure they fit within the current bitmap layer
Edited by recursor
update
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Version 0.4:

1) Removed Status bar

2) Made Nearest neighbor the default for zooming. It looks much better this way.

3) The plugin is now located in the Animation category under the Effects menu

Version 0.3 Bugs fixed:

1) Cell bitmap was not being cleared before drawing the next frame

I didn't get what exactly it does, so it just play the animation been working on in paint.net, but you can't use it to import or export files? And the layers are the frames? Looks interesting anyways, I ll give it a try, I like the UI

EDIT: Never mind I just got it to use, looks cool, thank you very much for this plugin, I think I will never need it, but I am sure it is very important for some people to use with some applications. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Registered just to say thank you for this plugin, it's been invaluable.

One suggestion, how about an option for nearest neighbor scaling instead of blurry linear scaling in the preview window?

Glad it is useful to you. I have updated the plugin to use nearest neighbor for zooming as you suggested. It was something that had not occurred to me. I have also changed where it is located in the Effects drop down - it is now under Animation instead of Advanced

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Does this assist with the tedious task of cutting sprite sheets or do I still have to do that? I usually open a new doc with a 32x32 pixel, select and copy the sprite from the master sheet, Ctrl Tab back to the blank doc and paste. then I may resize or magic wand it transparent. If there is an easier way I'm all ears.

I've been trying it out and can't figure out how to use the plugin. I can't find documentation anywhere. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I just released version 0.5

Version Notes:

===============

1) Added ability to export each frame to a .png file (sprite sheet cutting)

See first post in this topic for the download

I have released Version 0.6 of the plugin.

To see what has changed and to get the download link, check the first post in this topic.

Edited by recursor

I've released version 0.7 which now uses the current rectangular selection (if there is one) to fill in

the frame width, height and x,y values. See the first post in this topic for the new file.

Edited by recursor

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think mine seems to work can you explain to me the steps on how to use it.

A thousand thank yousboltbait.smile.png

Certainly, Check out the tutorial video:

• 1 month later...

Recursor-

Thanks for this, I was hoping to make something very similar. What are the chances you'd be willing to share the source so that I can make some updates for my own tastes? Giving you full credit for what you've already done, of course.

• 3 months later...

Sprite Sheet Animation Helper Version 0.8 released

V0.8 Notes:

=============

1) Fixed bug where if your selection rectangle was either as wide as or as tall as the original image, then the selection rectangle was ignored.

2) Added a frame counter

3) Changed the Directory label to a textbox so you can modify the save directory in the textBox instead of having to use the Folder dialog box every time

4) Also if you type in a directory that does not exist into the TextBox, then it will try to create it (note I'm not yet catching any exceptions that might occur here so if you screw up the directory, it could close Paint .NET)

See first post in this topic for the download

Edited by recursor

Hi recursor, Just wanted to say thanks for the plugin, and also ask about it. The video tutorial didn't really specify how to actually create an animation, could you give me some help with that? I don't really understand the column thing - it says the number of columns per row to use for the anim, but I only want to use the images from 1 row. Is it just going to take the number of images I specify from that row? When I put the column as 1, and frames as 2, should I be expecting a static image? Because I'm getting the same image moving up and down.

I randomly tried some settings and the animation kept making the guy go off the image. Is there any way to make it just a walking animation like in your video? I don't want him to go off screen.

Edited by lolgg

Hi recursor, Just wanted to say thanks for the plugin, and also ask about it. The video tutorial didn't really specify how to actually create an animation, could you give me some help with that? I don't really understand the column thing - it says the number of columns per row to use for the anim, but I only want to use the images from 1 row. Is it just going to take the number of images I specify from that row? When I put the column as 1, and frames as 2, should I be expecting a static image? Because I'm getting the same image moving up and down.

I randomly tried some settings and the animation kept making the guy go off the image. Is there any way to make it just a walking animation like in your video? I don't want him to go off screen.

If you only have one row then all you need to do is make sure that the # of columns specified is equal to or greater than the number of frames you have and you'll be ok. If however, your animation spans more than 1 row, then you can use the columns to indicate when the program should go to the next row.

Ex:

Let's say I have 7 frames in my animation, but I have 4 on the 1st row and 3 on the next row as shown below:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

[5] [6] [7]

In this case, you would set columns = 4 and the frames=7. When the program goes to get the 5th frame it knows that there are only 4 frames per row so it goes to the next row to get the 5th, 6th, and 7th frames.

Also, if you have a grid between each cell as shown in my video, then you will want to set the Border equal to the width of those pixels so that they will be skipped. If you have no borders on your frames then be sure to set Border=0.

If your animation moves left or right, then any of the following may be the culprit:

Your cell width/height (the size of each frame)

Your starting offset in the image

Your border size may be wrong

This may require another video to explain more clearly...

Paint dot net crashes when i try to use this add on.

It shows the Animation helper right before an error message/crash

heres a link to the crash report file, the forum says im not permitted to attach text files, probably because its a log, luckily i have dropbox.

Major props to the creator of this plugin. I always created animations inside the game engine I use (Game Maker 8 Pro), but now this will make the whole process more convenient. I've consider Promotion in the past, but it's so complicated, while this is perfect to me. :)

Edited by Supermini_man

Artist/Game Developer/Traveller

DeviantART
Game Jolt Profile

• 6 months later...

Ok. I think I've fixed that bug. See The first post in this topic for version 0.81 or the plugin.

Still crashes for me. Here's the error:

Exception details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AnimationEffect.AnimationHelper.SetFrameNumber(Int32 frame)

at AnimationEffect.AnimationHelper.timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• 2 weeks later...

Still crashes for me. Here's the error:

Exception details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AnimationEffect.AnimationHelper.SetFrameNumber(Int32 frame)

at AnimationEffect.AnimationHelper.timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Sorry I took so long to respond. I just saw this today. While I have been unable to reproduce this, I think I

see what might have caused it. Version 0.83 should fix the problem.

Edited by recursor

• 1 month later...

I have downloaded your latest plugin dll. Everything is working fine, except one error when pressing Save frames without entering the Target folder path. This cause paint.net to crashed and closed.

Please fix this issue by validating the target folder path on clicking Save Frames. I have also attached the crash log.

Thanks

pdncrash.zip

I'm using it now! Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: one thing that I'd find useful is buttons next to "Offset" that increases the offset in X or Y by the current width or height of the cell. That is, if the cells are set to be 32x64, the "Next" button next to "Offset X" would increase the current X offset by 32 (and the "Next" button next to "Offset Y" would increase the current Y offset by 64).

Edited by NisseBosseLasse

<snip - no need to quote the whole first post >

When i use this my image is always small. If i make it larger in the plugin it starts to show other images from other sprites around it. Please help me.

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo

Quote Me when you reply please.