TIFF file size changing without any editing?

Hi guys. I'm very new to photo editing software in general, not just paint.net. I have a question regarding the TIFF format.

I have a scanned photo in the TIFF format that is about 102MB in size. However when I simply open the photo in paint.net and save it again (without any editing) as a TIFF file, the size decreases to 57.8MB. I'm not quite sure why this is happening. I was always under the impression that the TIFF format is lossless, and so, if I were to save the exact same image without any editing, shouldn't the file size remain the same? Thank you in advance.

Hey dioprem - welcome to the forum :D

TIFFs actually support quite a number of different types of compression. Among them is LZW which is lossless.

That the filesize is being reduced leads me to I suspect that paint.net is doing a better job of compression than your scanner.

Hey dioprem - welcome to the forum :D

TIFFs actually support quite a number of different types of compression. Among them is LZW which is lossless.

That the filesize is being reduced leads me to I suspect that paint.net is doing a better job of compression than your scanner.

Thank you for the prompt reply! So, paint.net always utilizes LZW compression for TIFFs?