Paint.NET vs. GIMP (GIMP only 8-bit)

This thread is not specifically Paint.NET vs. GIMP, but more about GIMP's limitation of 8-bit post processing and how that can differ between the two programs.

How many 'bits' is Paint.NET for this post processing thing?

Would this mean that images created with the GIMP are worse quality than Paint.NET?

Obviously, I have no idea what I am talking about with this post processing thing, but that is why I am hoping for some clarification here.

Thanks,

Dave

I believe it's referring to 8 bits (range from 0-255) per channel, which is the exact same as Paint.NET. Some high quality photos have 16 bits (range from zero to 2^16-1) per channel, which allows for more detailed color information.

Thank you for your response. For some reason, though, I was under the impression that Paint.NET used 16-bit or 32-bit and did not have that same limitation as GIMP.

So does that mean that the image quality between Paint.NET and GIMP would be indistinguishable then?

I am still learning more about this so I don't have much to say at the moment, however, I just found a great article that I thought I should share that is related to this.

Benefits Of Working With 16-Bit Images In Photoshop

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/

It is talking about Photoshop, but the information could relate to just about any image program from my understanding.

Agreed, Pyrochild. I think the question has been adequately answered.

Thread Locked

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.