Stop using thumbnails in the open and save dialogs

Paint.net always uses thumbsnails in the open and save dialogs, even though I set it to list view everytime. Every other program just shows a normal list of files, but Paint.net somehow thinks its neccesary to show thumbails.

Could you PLEASE fix this in the next release? Its is getting really annoying.

And Im using the newest release (3.2) on Windows XP.

Hello.

This has been discussed before and is a known problem. I have been able to find at least one of topics relating to this, although I am reasonably sure that there are more.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20765

This was found using the Forum Search using the term 'thumbnail view'.

The above topic may not give a definitive answer to your problem, or really offer a solution, but a delve into the forum may reveal more.

Hope this points you in the right direction at least.

This behavior is actually by design.

Some time ago, Rick noticed that many people switched it to Thumbnail view to find the image they were looking for. Since folder view state preservation in Windows XP is wonky at best (Rick said so, I've never tried), he made it so Thumbnail view was forced each time.

I too tend to prefer List view when browsing through my folder structure, then switch back to Thumbnail view once I get to my destination folder. I also requested this when I first joined the forum, at which time Rick informed me that it wouldn't be changed. Two years later, I've basically become used to having to change it.

Perhaps Rick's sentiments have changed in two years, I don't know. But when last I did know, there are no plans to alter this behavior. Sorry.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This behavior is actually by design.

Some time ago, Rick noticed that many people switched it to Thumbnail view to find the image they were looking for. Since folder view state preservation in Windows XP is wonky at best (Rick said so, I've never tried), he made it so Thumbnail view was forced each time.

I learn something everyday.

Some time ago, Rick noticed that many people switched it to Thumbnail view to find the image they were looking for. Since folder view state preservation in Windows XP is wonky at best (Rick said so, I've never tried), he made it so Thumbnail view was forced each time

How about just remembering the last setting? That can't be that hard to add that.

Every time someone says "that can't be hard," Rick sighs, rolls his eyes, and wonders why he didn't become a doctor like his mom wanted him to. :-)

That is to say, you'd be surprised.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This has already been discussed many many times before and I don't really see a reason to have another thread about it. It will not be productive and people will just get angry :(

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg