Crop with rounded corners

Is there an easy way to crop an image to have rounded corners. A rounded rectangle selection tool would be great. I guess this could be a specific case of a more general "shape selection tool", for which you have currently no ETA; however rounded corners is a common requirement.

Currently the only way I know of doing it is to draw a rounded rectangle with a suitably sized brush, in a particular colour (and anti-aliasing off), delete the result and then fiddle around outside to remove any more unneeded material.

Hello, aitkenji. I think that you should learn how to Alpha Mask. It can provide smooth rounded corners.

See this tutorial for more information: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5276

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

That's why we have a rounded rectangle drawing tool. Ok, here's a mini-tutorial on how you can get it done.

1. Open your image in PDN.

2. Create a new layer.

3. Using the rounded rectangle drawing tool, select the area of which you want to be cropped, making sure the lines don't go into an area you want/need.

4. Repeat until your happy.

5. Get the magic wand tool and select inside the rounded rectangle.

6. Invert the slection by pressing Ctrl + I, then go onto the layer which has the image you want to crop.

7. Press delete, then delete the other layer.

8. Crop the canvas (using normal selection and the new fixed ratio option in PDN 3.20 APLHA) to the size you want.

9/ (Optional) Feather the image if you want (Check the plug-in's section for it, it's stickied) and

10. Save as .PNG.

And you should get something you want.

...and you can use the "Align Objects" plugin to center the rounded rectangle exactly within the page before you use magic wand to select it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 weeks later...

That's the method provided above (but good job with the screenshots!); the problem with it is its lack of antialiasing.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

• 1 month later...

The best option is still using the Alpha Mask plugin.