Minimum file size for .jpg file is 10kb?

kemmel

Hello,

I create a lot of small jpg files for my website. Some time ago the file sizes would be around 2 or 3 kb. Nowadays the file size does not go below 10kb.

Why is that?

When I save the image as bmp, and then open and save it as jpg with Microsoft Paint, the file size is back to 2kb.

Anyone any idea why the size is so big, for so little information? I noticed that Corel PhotoPaint also saves the large jpg files. Why o why?

Regards, Kemmel.

Hi Bob,

Both jpg files have 24 bit color. When I look at the file summary given by Windows, the large file has some additional info about the camera settings. Appearently this info is lost when saving as a bitmap (bmp).

Opening the bmp and saving as jpg with Paint.NET also results in a small file (3.4kb instead of 12kb).

I guess my question has changed to "How can i get rid of the overhead in a jpg file?". (Perhaps a new feature in Paint.NET?)

Kemmel.

That is called Meta data.

Rick has already said that a future version of Paint.NET will have a Meta data editor.

For now, you have already discovered a good way to clean it out. Although, be careful, some of those jpg cleaners clean out too much information (like width and height of the picture) which may render it uneditable in Paint.NET.

Another way is to select your work and copy it to a new document before saving. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Alt-V

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Alt-V

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Alt+V ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.